cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Automatic Tag Generation Refused Due to Active Client Connections

White_Chedda_
3-Visitor

Automatic Tag Generation Refused Due to Active Client Connections

Hello All,

in KepServerEX6 I created a channel to get data from an SQL database.

I created a Device for a table and it was not able to populate the tags automatically, like the previous two tables I created on that channel seemed to do. If I did something differently, I can't figure out what that is. The setup is the same as the other two.

The error it returned when finishing the new device was:  "Unable to generate a tag database for <MY DEVICE>:Automatic tag generation for device <MY DEVICE>' refused due to active client connections"

I read another topic which had the same error. The suggestion was to 'Close all OPC client connections to the device and retry Automatic Tag Generation' 

Another topic said to create a new channel but I'm hoping to keep this table on the same database channel, to preserve the same organization between SQL and Kepware.  

My question is, how do I 'Close all OPC client connections to the device and retry Automatic Tag Generation?' 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Jr_10376177,

Clients are applications making requests of devices through the server. Disabling the devices will not stop Client applications from making requests of the devices. HMI applications and test Clients like the Kepware Quick Client are Clients which make requests. You can see the number Clients connected to the server by the number indicated at the bottom right of the KEPServerEX Configuration.  In your scenario, you would need to identify which Client application(s) are making requests of the channel in question and stop the requests to the server before performing the ATG. Another solution would be to create a new Channel/Device and perform the ATG. Then copy and paste the new device under the old Channel.  NOTE - Having multiple devices configured under a singular channel presents other issues like expected latency.  It is recommended to have only one device per channel for communication optimization. 

Thanks,

*Chris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Right. Those are the prior posts I was referring to. One says a workaround is to create a new channel, which I am trying to avoid to maintain organization.  The other says to "Close all OPC client connections to the device and retry Automatic Tag Generation." I am trying to understand what that means exactly and how I can do it. I've disabled the other devices in the channel but that apparently is not what it is referring to.

@Jr_10376177,

Clients are applications making requests of devices through the server. Disabling the devices will not stop Client applications from making requests of the devices. HMI applications and test Clients like the Kepware Quick Client are Clients which make requests. You can see the number Clients connected to the server by the number indicated at the bottom right of the KEPServerEX Configuration.  In your scenario, you would need to identify which Client application(s) are making requests of the channel in question and stop the requests to the server before performing the ATG. Another solution would be to create a new Channel/Device and perform the ATG. Then copy and paste the new device under the old Channel.  NOTE - Having multiple devices configured under a singular channel presents other issues like expected latency.  It is recommended to have only one device per channel for communication optimization. 

Thanks,

*Chris

Thank you! I'll be sure to give it a try.  Quick question though, I seem to not have any active clients according to the bottom right corner. Just wondering what's up with that.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 102748.png

@White_Chedda_ 

Having zero clients connected and active tags showing is an indication that an KEPServerEX Advanced Plug-In has been configured. Some Advanced Plug-In examples are Advanced Tags. Alarms & Events, Datalogger or IoT Gateway.

Thanks,

*Chris

Okay, so if I stop the usage of my advanced tags and data loggers, then that should free it up to auto-collect.  I'll try that too, but either way, you're copy and paste method worked as well.  Thank you for all the clarification and help!

Top Tags