cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Connecting to a Siemens PLC without running TIA PORTAL (V16)

CH_11010052
3-Visitor

Connecting to a Siemens PLC without running TIA PORTAL (V16)

Hello!

I'm doing a project that involves linking variables from an Excel sheet to tags of a Siemens S7-1200 PLC through KEPServerEX. I have successfully made a connection using the Siemens Ethernet TCP/IP Ethernet Driver.

The PLC is going to be attached to a PC used by an operator. This PC doesn't have TIA PORTAL V16 installed, and we'd like to connect it to our S7-1200 with KEPServerEX. We also keep in mind that this PC is shut down at the end of every shift and turn on by the supervisor of the next shift.

When we did tests and tried to connect the PLC to a PC via the Ethernet port without launching TIA PORTAL V16, KEPServerEX couldn't access the PLC IP (the one that you set in TIA PORTAL). It wasn't until we launched TIA PORTAL and connect it to our PLC, where TIA PORTAL V16 added an additional IP address to the ethernet interface (192.168.XX.XXX) different than the default IP address of the interface (169.254.XX.XXX), that KEPServerEX could access the PLC address through the newly added IP address (192.168.XX.XXX) by TIA PORTAL. 

My question is: Is there anyway we can use KEPServerEX in conjunction with a Siemens PLC (S7-1200) without launching TIA PORTAL V16?

If not, what other PLCs can we use with KEPServerEX that doesn't required having the main editing software (e.g. TIA PORTAL V16, RSLogix, etc.) running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@CH_11010052,

The TIA Portal should not be needed for the connection to succeed with a S7-1200. The TIA Portal is used to assist in importing tags when using the   Siemens TCP/IP Ethernet driver.  You may need to use the TIA Portal when connecting to a S7-1200 simulation as shown in the video in the following link:

How to connect S7 1200 Simulation with Kepserver in TIA Portal | Siemens PLC | S7-1200 (youtube.com)

You should be able to make the connection to the S7-1200 using the Kepware Siemens S7 plus driver which does not require the use of the TIA Portal to pull in the tags. Here is a link to driver product page:

How to connect S7 1200 Simulation with Kepserver in TIA Portal | Siemens PLC | S7-1200 (youtube.com)

I also recommend opening support ticket with Kepware team to assist with troubleshooting your specific architecture. Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened:

Thanks,

*Chris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@CH_11010052,

The TIA Portal should not be needed for the connection to succeed with a S7-1200. The TIA Portal is used to assist in importing tags when using the   Siemens TCP/IP Ethernet driver.  You may need to use the TIA Portal when connecting to a S7-1200 simulation as shown in the video in the following link:

You should be able to make the connection to the S7-1200 using the Kepware Siemens S7 plus driver which does not require the use of the TIA Portal to pull in the tags. Here is a link to driver product page:

I also recommend opening support ticket with Kepware team to assist with troubleshooting your specific architecture. Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened:

Thanks,

*Chris

We'll be performing tests this weekend, setting up the IP addresses and using the Siemens  Plus driver. Hopefully we can get it to work. Our main problem is that when selecting the default Ethernet port, KEPServerEX doesn't have access to the plc IP address until we open TIA PORTAL and change the ethernet port address to the one created by TIA PORTAL.

Top Tags