A license is not required to download and install KEPServerEX V6. After finishing the full install, all features of the KEPServerEX Configuration are available for setup and testing, including the ThingWorx Native Interface. When either a Client application makes a request of a Driver, or a Plug-in becomes activated, then a license check is performed. If a feature is not licensed, a two-hour demo countdown period will begin for that feature. There are System tags that can be monitored in KEPServerEX to determine which features are licensed, which are in a time-limited demo countdown period, and which have expired. To reset the countdown timer for an unlicensed feature, the KEPServerEX Runtime service can be stopped/restarted. See the links and steps below for more information.
Monitor licensed, time-limited, and expired features in KEPServerEX:
1. Open the KEPServerEX Configuration window
2. The right-most icon in the Configuration icon toolbar is the white "QC" icon. Select this icon to launch a new OPC Quick Client window. The server project should automatically build
3. In the left pane, locate the _System folder
4. Within this folder locate the following three Tags, with the corresponding information displaying in the Value column:
Tag (Item ID)
Information displayed as a String in the Value column
Any unlicensed driver or plug-in that has timed out
Drivers or plug-ins that are currently licensed for use with this install
Any unlicensed driver or plug-in that is in demo mode, with the remaining demo timer countdown (in seconds)
Note: The ThingWorx Native Interface does not require a KEPServerEX license.
Restart the KEPServerEX Runtime service
The KEPServerEX Runtime service (server_runtime.exe) runs in the background as a system service. Resetting this service will reset the demo countdown for any unlicensed feature. To reset the Runtime service:
1. Right-click on the Administration tool (the green EX icon in the Systray by the System Clock)
2. Select "Stop Runtime Service.
3. Either the user will be prompted to restart this service, or the same Administration tool menu can be used again to "Start Runtime Service"