This document is intended act as a general reference/help with configuring and troubleshooting google email account with the ThingWorx mail extension.
To start with the configuration:
SMTP: smtp.gmail.com 587, TLS checked. If SSL is being used, the port should be 465.
POP3: pop.gmail.com 995
To test, go to "Services" and click on "test" for the SendMessage service. Successful request will show an empty screen with green "result" at the top.
- Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 587 with nothing else in the logs.
Check your Internet connection to ensure it's not being blocked.
- <hostname:port>/Thingworx/Common/locales/en-US/translation-login.json 404 (Not Found)
Check your gmail folders for incoming messages regarding a sign-in from unknown device. The subject will be "Someone has your password", and the email content will include the device, location, and timestamp of when the incident occurred. Ensure to check the "this was me" option to prevent from further blocking. This may or may not be sufficient, sometimes this leads to another error -
- "Please log in via your web browser and 534-5.7.14 then try again. 534-5.7.14 Learn more at 534 5.7.14..."
The error can be resolved by:
- Turning off “less secure” feature in your Gmail settings. You have to be logged in to your gmail account to follow the link: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps
- Changing your gmail password afterwards. I don't have a valid explanation as to why, but this is a required step, and the error doesn't clear without changing the password.