cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Supported Character Sets

ablyth
7-Bedrock

Supported Character Sets

Hi,

I am searching through the documentation looking for information on supported character sets for Data Item Values, Alarm Names & Descriptions, Locations & Organizations.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, if you could confirm all of these support UTF-8 and subsequently simplified chinese etc. characters that would be even better!

Thanks,

Alan

5 REPLIES 5
cdovholuk
6-Contributor
(To:ablyth)

Hi Alan,

I think it's pretty safe to assume that we support UTF-8 everywhere.  I looked but couldn't find documentation to support this claim to provide to you but my own simple testing that I've done in the past with other character sets have been perfectly fine.  If you find a field that does not support UTF-8 that would be good to know and we should look to fix that in future versions of the platform.

Hi Alan -

References to UTF-8 support are sprinkled throughout the full documentation set. I would like to know where in the documentation you are looking for this information. This will help me determine how to ensure the right information is provided to the right audiences.

I've pasted some of the references I could find throughout the current docs. Not sure how helpful this will be but hopefully you can glean something useful from these doc snippets.

Admin Installation guide:

-------------------------------------

"Recommended Configuration

5. The Oracle Database must be in UTF-8 format (required for Cognos Reporting Server).

9. For each database instance, set the supported character set and processes as follows:

•  Set the database character set at AL32UTF8 and select UTF-8 from the National Character Set: “Unicode 3.0 UTF-8 Universal character set, CESU-8 compliant".

Admin Reporting Installation guide:

--------------------------------------------------

"Oracle Database for Axeda Platform

• The Oracle database must be in UTF-8 format. Note that UTF-8 format is strongly recommended for Axeda Platform as well.

• Both 32- and 64 bit versions of the Oracle Client are required."

Admin Configuration Settings Guide:

-----------------------------------------------

com.axeda.drm.email.default-encoding | Default e-mail encoding

The System Configuration page of the Axeda Administration application displays this property as "Default e-mail encoding".

com.axeda.drm.email.default-encoding=UTF-8

Type of encoding to use as the default for e-mail messages. The default is UTF-8. Other possibilities include ASCII, UTF-16, ISO8859, and so on. A complete list is available in the Preferences page of the Axeda Console. The type of encoding you select must be supported by your e-mail server and client applications.

Glossary:

--------------

"Logger Component (Axeda Builder)

The Logger component of Axeda Builder allows you to configure the sending of alarms (Alarm Logger) and data (Data Logger) to Axeda Platform. You can select whether to log to one or more files and send files to Axeda Platform at a scheduled time or to stream the collected data to Axeda Platform on demand. When saved to files, data is stored in HTML or Comma Separated Variable (CSV) format for easy file manipulation. You can select whether to use ASCII CSV or Unicode (UTF-16) CSV."

Applications online help:

------------------------------------

"Configuration Item (asset configuration)

Configuration Items are the name/value pairs (or “tuples”) of metadata that are currently associated with an Asset, as defined by the asset's actual asset configuration. For example, disk drive, memory module, device module, and CPU may all be metadata that you want to capture about your asset. When provided for your asset, the Axeda® Platform will create and store each as a configuration item. Configuration items can be provided by an asset (if it is configured to send its configuration) or from the SDK. Within the agent XML configuration, nodes and attributes become the Configuration Items of the related Path expression.

These tuples are composed of the following:

o Path – The Path expression corresponding to the location of this Configuration Item.

o Value – Any UTF-8 String value

For example, in the configuration <Config><Foo><Bar>bin</Bar></Foo></Config>, the nodes Config, Foo, and Bar are configuration items.

"Troubleshooting browser problems

Resolving Font Problems

1. Start Internet Explorer.

2. Select View | Encoding, and make sure that the option Auto-Select is selected. You can also try the UTF-8 setting."

SOAP v1 Web Services Guide

-----------------------------------------

"ExtObject is used in the createExtObject and updateExtObject operations (ExtObjectService). It is returned from getExtObjects operation (ExtObjectService) as an array of extended objects.

Element / Description

extClientKey

Optional or Required based on the Extended Object Type of the Extended Object. Provides information that can be used as the external key to access this object later. Supports a maximum of 100 UTF-8 characters. (For explanation of how the Platform stores UTF-8 characters, refer to "SOAP and XML Compliance" on page 3-14.) May be left Null. This value does not need to be unique"

Hi Linda,

I searched in all documentation/knowledge base for the following items specifically and would expect find the supported characters as well as the maximum/minimum length, and any other constraints,

• Alarm descriptions,
  • Data Items,
  • Organizations,
  • Locations,
  • Events,

We are still unclear if UTF-8 is a standard supported across the entire platform, or if there may be instances where different character sets are required,

Regards,

Alan

Although the documentation doesn't currently explicitly state as much, UTF-8 is indeed a standard supported across the entire platform. In addition, all messages exchanged between Axeda Agents and the Enterprise Servers are encoded in UTF-8 format to support multiple languages.

Many thanks Linda,

Alan

Top Tags