cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Should I have admin privileges for my Academic site?

jamesso
10-Marble

Should I have admin privileges for my Academic site?

The URL of my cloud-based instance is:

If this is a multi-tenant site I can see why I would not be given an admin user name and password. If this is a containerized instance for my use alone, perhaps I could be given admin rights.

I think my lack of success for using the monitoring UI from the Composer that I have posted about before could be because my access rights are restricted.

I tried a bunch of other things to monitor and they show nothing of interest either. I will upload a screenshot for what I see when I try to Monitor the system.

7 REPLIES 7
jamesso
10-Marble
(To:jamesso)

I posted this over a week ago and still no answer.

I would have expected that as this is a simple question I would not have waited long for an answer.

How can I monitor my remote things? The Raspberry Pi demo/tutorial indicates that I should be able to accomplish this.

jamesso
10-Marble

Adrian says PTC can't/won't grant admin rights so that monitoring is available.

So I strongly recommend that the documentation be changed as soon as possible. This is a very misleading bit.

I wonder if an academic user is better served by having a local install rather than a cloud instance if this administrative experience is denied to them!

adrianpet
5-Regular Member

Hi James,

I wanted to let you know that I've recently met with the development team and there appears to be a way in the next release that could potentially enable users to access the import/export feature as well as read the monitoring log inside the ThingWorx platform (Composer) without having to be an Administrator. I am going to investigate this and get back to you. 

Best regards,

Hi Adrian,

Do you have an email address? I am having the same problems as James ans would like to get administrator access as well. Both for the monitoring and import/export features.

Sincerely,

Walter

adrianpet
5-Regular Member
(To:walterh)

Hi Walter,

Can you please add your email address here? I will contact you through email regarding your request for an Administrator right.

Best regards,

jamesso
10-Marble
(To:walterh)

Walter:

What URL are you using for your testing? Adrian informs me that my URL is unique to my institution and so my admin rights should only apply to my ThingWorx instance and you would need the same rights applied to your URL'd version. I will leave it to you and Adrian to sort things out.

Jim

jamesso
10-Marble

Thanks for checking and looking forward to the improvement.

The cloud version is still 5.0.2.33 so upgrading that to the latest (5.2?) would be appreciated as well.

Jim

Top Tags