cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Thingworx not starting

kevind1
1-Newbie

Thingworx not starting

Hi there, 

I have Tomcat installed and I was able to deploy war file via tomcat.

However the message that I'm getting is: FAIL - Application at context path /Thingworx could not be started.

What could be causing this issue?

Thank you,

Kevin Davis

11 REPLIES 11
adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:kevind1)

Hi Kevin,

What operating system are you using?

kevind1
1-Newbie
(To:adam11)

Hi there,

I'm using the OS that I'm using is Linux. The Tomcat version that I'm using is Apache Tomcat/7.0.57, and I think this is the Java verion that I have: java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.75.x86_64/jre/bin/java

paic
1-Newbie

Also at the bottom of the Tomcat Manager screen, what version of Tomcat are you using and what version of Java is Tomcat itself using?

kevind1
1-Newbie
(To:paic)

Tomcat version: Apache Tomcat/7.0.57

JVM Version: 1.7.0_75-mockbuild_2015_01_23_00_20-b00

adam11
5-Regular Member

Kevin,

This is a likely a permissions issue, but I should point out we don't support OpenJDK. By default, ThingWorx attempts to create directories for its data store (ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage) in the root directory (/). The user that Tomcat is running as will need sufficient permissions to create those directories. Alternately, you can specify another location for the ThingWorx data store using the information in section 2 of the Wiki, "Modifying the location of ThingworxStorage). Either is a viable option.

– Adam

So I should modify the permissions of the user Tomcat and see what happens?

paic
1-Newbie

You can also manually  create the folders ahead of time, ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage in the root with full permissions.

I would put those in the webapps directory correct?

paic
1-Newbie

actual root of the drive, not webapps.

kevind1
1-Newbie
(To:paic)

I did place it there, but no luck. Still won't start. 

Never mind, I decided to install thingworx on Windows and it is up and running. 

Top Tags