cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Issue with Mail Server Thing

ptc-6292144
3-Visitor

Issue with Mail Server Thing

Hello,

I used to be able to send emails from my Thingworx server using a Mail Server thing, however recently I have been receiving the following error:

"Could not connect to SMTP host: **********, port: 25]"

I can create a telnet connection to the mail server over port 25 and can ping the mail server as well but for some reason it seems Thingworx cannot connect to it. 

Again, it used to work fine, nothing has changed on the configuration page for the Mail Server thing but now it cannot connect anymore.

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Michael, most likely your Network is blocking that outgoing message. Please check with your IT.

Pai,

Does Thingworx send a type of authentication when it tries to send an email? I am just trying to figure out what the difference would be between sending an email from a command prompt versus through Thingworx. Our mail server does not require a Username and Password and our IT department thinks that Thingworx might be trying to use one causing it to get the "Could not connect to SMTP host: *****, port: 25" error.

Thank you,

Pai,

Does Thingworx send a type of authentication when it tries to send an email? I am just trying to figure out what the difference would be between sending an email from a command prompt versus through Thingworx. Our mail server does not require a Username and Password and our IT department thinks that Thingworx might be trying to use one causing it to get the "Could not connect to SMTP host: *****, port: 25" error.

Thank you,

Pai,

I don't believe it is because the Network is blocking the outgoing message because from the same server Thingworx is hosted on I can ping the Mail Server and I used a telnet command prompt to send an email through the Mail Server from the same server Thingworx is hosted on.

Hi Michael,

While the message seems to be generated by the inability of TW to connect to your email server, please check that the account ID / username Field is empty in the Configuration page. Only in this case the Mail Thing will connect to the SMTP server with no authentication.
If the Username field has something in it, the Mail Thing will try to connect with authentication.

BR,
Vladimir

Vladimir,

Thank you for the response, I do have the Username Field empty however I am still receiving the error. I can successfully send emails from the computer via a command prompt but Thingworx keeps giving this error.

Just looked in the error in the first post, in the configuration of the Mail Thing did you put DNS name of local server or numerical IP address?
Just in case, try with both, including also the 127.0.0.1.

BR,
Vladimir

Top Tags