cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Edge Microserver Java Requirements

mikei
1-Newbie

Edge Microserver Java Requirements

Hello,

We are in the process of setting up an edge server using the Thingworx SDK, and are wondering if this is supported with Java SE Embedded 1.7.  Our last conversation with Thingworx left it a bit vague and we had neglected to follow up:

Q: Do you think it would be possible to put this into a microcontroller running embedded Java? This would be the same type of solution as using the C-SDK with microcontroller running OSTCP </p><p class="MsoListParagraph" style="margin-left: 0.75in; text-indent: -0.25in;"><span style="text-indent: -0.25in;">A: We do not support micro-Java, it needs to be a standard Java 7 JRE</span></p></div><div><span style="text-indent: -0.25in;">
+

From this answer, it appears that the Thingworx SDK cannot use Java ME, but what about Java SE <b>Embedded</b>?

Thanks for you help.

Regards,

Mike

9 REPLIES 9
laurier
3-Visitor
(To:mikei)

We need to install TW5 WSEMS into an edge device running Java SE also. Can we share experience.

adam11
5-Regular Member

Hi Mike,

To remove any ambiguity, the SDK only supports Java SE and no other micro or embedded editions.

mikei
1-Newbie

Thank you Adam.

Do you know whether Thingworx has specific problems with either ME or SE embedded?  Or is it simply that the team has not tried to qualify the SDK on those two platforms?

Thanks again for your help!

-Mike

adam11
5-Regular Member

I will have to verify with development, but it is very likely that we do not test using these editions, so we are unable to support them.

mikei
1-Newbie

Additionally, with PTC's addition of Axeda, does that platform use the same Thingworx SDK on a full SE JVM, or were are will you be using one of the embedded JVM's on Axeda's edge servers?

adam11
5-Regular Member

Mike,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about future plans for ThingWorx and Axeda?

mikei
1-Newbie
(To:adam11)

Since Axeda brings the connectivity layer for IoT into the picture, I assumed that they will need to have a solution in place for smaller gateway devices (that don't have the full Java SE stack) to send data back through to the main cloud service.  When connecting the Axeda-connected devices to Thingworx, will they all be using the full Java SE stack? Or I am incorrect in assuming that some of the Axeda gateways do not have the ability the run the full Java SE library?

I guess a better question is to ask if there are any plans to eventually support the embedded Java distributions, seeing as Axeda is probably bringing on board situations that will require it?

adam11
5-Regular Member

Mike,

Axeda's Java SDK does support Java ME, but this will require you use the Axeda Cloud. If that is not an option, you could always use our RESTful API within a Java ME environment. There are no plans to modify the ThingWorx Java SDK to support Java ME or similar at this time.

Regarding your question about our SDK running on an edition other than Java SE, the issue is not a matter of it not having been tested on these editions, it's that it won't run on these editions.

Regards,

Adam

jacekgra
1-Newbie

Hello,

Coming back to this topic - I am wondering whether ThingWorx Java SDK is still not supported for Java Embedded? If it is not support - does anyone had tried to see whether it actually works? I would really like whether it works, even if not officially supported.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Regards,

Jacek

Top Tags