cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Single EMS, multiple devices

ptc-6607495
1-Newbie

Single EMS, multiple devices

Has anyone effectively used a single Edge Microserver as a proxy of sorts between an unknown number of devices an the ThingWorx server?

In our application, we'll be deploying lots of devices, and some devices from different manufacturers.  We cannot put an EMS on each device due to HW/SW limitations.  Different manufacturers will have different protocols that have to be translated.

We are looking at the option of either writing a translation extension for the various manufacturers or checking to see if the single EMS, multiple devices is a more suitable route.

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

Sounds like this situation is mentioned under EMSGateway but there isn't much information that I can find about it.  Only this one sentence:

Can someone point me in the right direction?

adam11
    5-Regular Member
    (To:ptc-6607495)

Hi Cooper,

There is additional information in section 10 of the Wiki, specifically "10.01.01 WS EMS Gateway Mode with Self-Registering Remote Things." You may also want to look into using the Edge SDKs as they may be a better fit for your particular use case.

Regards,

Adam

Thank you for directing to that location.  As far as I can tell, using the auto_bind config parameter, does each device have to be individually configured within the EMS?

In our case, there will be potentially thousands of devices.  Is there a way to have these communicate without having to define each one here?

adam11
    5-Regular Member
    (To:ptc-6607495)

Cooper,

We recently added another section, "10.00 Differences between 4.x Edge Software Components and 5.0 Edge Software Components", which provides some more information about the Edge MicroServer. In that entry, there is a section that describes the dynamic registration of

Things

and the section, "10.01.01 WS EMS Example Configurations," provides an example configuration file for self-registering

Remote Things

Regards,

Adam

Top Tags