cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Invoking the salesforce.com REST API from a ThingWorx instance

ptc-5248443
1-Newbie

Invoking the salesforce.com REST API from a ThingWorx instance

Hi,

I need to get data out of a salesforce.com instance (specifically the number of open help desk tickets), and including that data in a ThingWorx mashup. To be clear, I’m looking to display the mashup in a ThingWorx instance; not a Mashup integrated into a salesforce.com instance.

salesforce.com exposes a pretty extensive REST API that returns JSON responses. What would be the recommended way to get a ThingWorx instance to invoke this REST API. I’m guessing that the two options are either invoking the API using a JavaScript snippet from a service, or alternatively creating a custom server side extension written in Java that invokes the force.com REST API?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Darragh

7 REPLIES 7
smanley
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-5248443)

Hi Darragh,

Yes, invoking the rest API using both of those methods is possible and can produce the same results. The extension of course would be more involved that the other. One of the simplest methods is to create a service using the loadJSON snippet to call the rest API and load its values into an Infotable to be displayed in a Mashup. You can then call this service using various events such as service invoked complete from another service, a refresh widget, or manually using a button.

Thank,

Saeed

Thanks Saeed. That's exactly the kind of answer that I'm looking for.

Darragh, please use the GetJSON service, although it will accomplish the same as Load, we are deprecating the Load services.

Will do. Thanks Pai.

sreddy-51
1-Newbie
(To:paic)

Hi All,

I am new to this ThingWorx, i want to integrate with thingworx with salesforce/servicemax. what are the steps need to follow. Please provide the sample example with connection.

Thanks,

Sri

srepaka
4-Participant
(To:ptc-5248443)

Hi All,

I am new to this ThingWorx, i want to integrate thingworx with salesforce/servicemax. what are the steps need to be follow , understood that we can use either REST or extensions for integrating. I want to use only extensions for integrating. Please provide the sample example / steps to use extensions for connectivity.

Thanks in Advance!!

Sahana R

gouimette
5-Regular Member
(To:srepaka)

Sahana, someone else may provide a more technically detailed answer but answers to your question about ServiceMax and Salesforce integrations:

• There is also a note about Salesforce.com integration in that pdf.  You should also visit the ThingWorx Marketplace where both Callisto and Devicify have Salesforce-ThingWorx integration solutions ThingWorx IoT Marketplace .

Best,

Gates Ouimette

gouimette@ptc.com

Top Tags