cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Connect Thingworx and PLC

hshintani1
1-Newbie

Connect Thingworx and PLC

Hi,

I'm trying to connect PLC and Thingworx via EMS.

In modbusExample.lua file, defining property for Thing is essential.

I put this property like this,

properties.Int16HoldRegExample = {value="300", dataChangeType="ALWAYS",pushType="ALWAYS", key ="holding_register/1/40001", handler="modbus_handler", basetype="NUMBER"}

But I can't connect.

Which URL does this "key" table mean?   PLC ,EMS or Thingworx Composer ?

please let me know information...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:hshintani1)

The Modbus example is specifically for connecting using Modbus protocol.

You have a modbus protocol setup to your PLC?

the Key refers to the Modbus register that is to be read.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

The Modbus example is specifically for connecting using Modbus protocol.

You have a modbus protocol setup to your PLC?

the Key refers to the Modbus register that is to be read.

I use Modbus package and set up modbus protocol to my PLC.

Is it ok that only modbus register is included in key contents,for example key = "40001" ?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with how the modbus.lua is setup and how it processes the key that is put in.

Hopefully someone else can give some input on that.

tcoufal
12-Amethyst

First of all you need to make sure that your Modbus communication is working properly.

That deppends on type of connecten. Are you using Modbus over serial - i.e. RTU/ASCII over RS485? or Modbus over TCP??

You can try program like Modbus Poll to verify your settings and readings. That's what I am using. (it's only a 10minutes demo though).

Then you need to change your config.lua file accordingly. Regarding reading the registers, I think that you need to define a type as well.

This is what I am using (just an example):

properties.VoltageVan = {key="input_register/1/30002?format=Float", handler="modbus_handler1", basetype="NUMBER"}

Its always good idea to use some network protocol analyzer (Wireshark is the best no doubt) when dealing with low-layer communication.

--> Tomas

Thanks for your information.

I'm using Modbus over TCP protocol. And I could read holding register data from  PLC with holding_register function in modbus_handler.lua.

But,I can't write data from ThingWorx to PLC via EMS.The cause is timeout like this:

[ERROR] 2016-02-01 17:17:39,410 modbus:executeFunction: Error: Timed out waiting for result.

[ERROR] 2016-02-01 17:17:39,410 luaInterscriptBinding::l_executeCallback: Error executing callback 'modbus_handler//scripts/modbus_handler/holding_register/1/40001'

Returned: 500 Timeout

[WARN ] 2016-02-01 17:17:39,411 MyPLC: Could not write property: Int16HoldRegExample, code: 500, msg: Timeout

Does the holding_register function include not only reading holging_register value but writing the same holding_register value?

Or should I set something else for writing property ? If you know,please teach me...

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Holding Registers should be able to be read and written to.

What function are you using for the write?

tcoufal
12-Amethyst

I would be interested in that function as well.

What kind of PLC system are you using? Systems which I am familiar with needs a proper configuration in a project in the first place to allow MODBUS registers (coils and holding registers) to be written into. It is a safety issue. Use Wireshark to capture Modbus packets sent and recieved from/by your lua script. That could give you some clue.   

Can you post the property string you're using in your modbus template.lua file?

This line is for setting property.

properties.Int16HoldRegExample = {value="300", dataChangeType="ALWAYS",pushType="ALWAYS", key ="holding_register/1/40001?format=Int16", handler="modbus_handler", basetype="NUMBER"}

And,these line are for setting services to get property value.

services.getAllProperties = function(me, headers, query, data)

log.debug(me.name, "Called getProperties")

local postdata = {content='{"slave": 1 ,"address": 40001 , "count": 1, "data": "string"}'}

return tw_script.executeCallback("modbus_handler", "POST", "holding_register", headers, query, postdata)

You can try adjusting the timeout value in config.lua

You can do so in the section

scripts.modbus_handler = {

file = "modbus_handler.lua" ,

response_timeout = 10000,

}

Not that the number is in milliseconds.  The default is 5000.

You can also debug your connection by talking directly to the modbus_handler script itself.  On the machine that your EMS is running, point a browser with your favorite REST debugging tool, like Postman, to http://127.0.0.1:<port>/scripts/modbus_handler/holding_register/<slave_id>/<register>

where port is the port your Lua Script resource is listening on - defaults to 8001, slave_id would be 1, and holding_holding register would be 4001 in your case.

For writing you should be should be doing a PUT to /holding_register/<slave_id>/<register>

Take a look at the documentation in /etc/thingworx/scripts/modbus_handler.lua for some more details on how to interact directly with that script.

Hi John, how exactly work this service.getAllProperties in modbusExample.lua? I can't see this service in remote thing for binding (how I can call it?). Also I having issue to read coils and discrete inputs - as bit values and using workaround with Uint16 word value - It's working, but it's not right. Could you please advice? Thanks.

Peter - In looking at the modbusExample.lua file that you posted (I assume this is the one you are referring to), I don't see a service definition in that template.  That is why you don't see it when you browse from Composer.  If I remember right read_multiple_registers returns a string with a comma separated list of formatted values.  You can double check this by directly POSTing to the modbus_handler script to see what comes back.

A coil property definition should look like the following:

properties.CoilTest1 = {key="coil/<slave_id>/<coil_number>", handler="modbus_handler", basetype="BOOLEAN"}

One thing to be careful of is offset in modbus addressing.  Depending on your modbus slave the first coil might be coil #1 at address 0 which is typical or they might call it by its address (i.e. coil 1 is at address 1 and coil 0 is at address 0).

Hi,

I also facing problem on connecting IDEC to ThingWorx.

below is the result after I run ./luascriptresources

[ERROR] 2016-04-09 11:34:20,113 luaScriptProxy::execute: [1094014096] Error executing script modbus_handler, Error = Error: ...t/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/lua/modbus.lua:104: module 'socket' not found:

no field package.preload['socket']

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/lua/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/lua/socket.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/lua/socket.lua'

no file './socket.lua'

no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/socket.lua'

no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/socket/init.lua'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/socket.lua'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/socket/init.lua'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/clibs/socket.so'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/clibs/socket.so'

no file '/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/clibs/socket.so'

no file './socket.so'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/socket.so'

no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'

[ERROR] 2016-04-09 11:34:20,118 luaScriptProxy::app_unlock: [1094014096] Attempt to unlock app_mutex while not holding it.L= 0x1141f0

hope someone can help.

thanks in advance

Aanjan
9-Granite
(To:echo)

Eric, what version of the MicroServer are you using? Do you have the Modbus package with it as well?

echo
1-Newbie
(To:Aanjan)

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. Sorry that i am very new to Thingworx.

How to check the version? The modbus package is that something like mobusscript.lua?

Fyi, i had actually downloaded the EMS to Syslink Systech SL-3000.

Aanjan
9-Granite

Here's a link to a quick start Modbus blog that has downloads to the package as well.

pkeckes
1-Newbie

Hi Eric, looks like you using latest 5.1 version - you need Modbus complete Modbus package - is missing - If you would like to download my package and search or socket.lua (and other files if needed) and add them to your microserver / or reuse my package with your config files (config.lua and config.json).

Have in mind - I'm using version 5.3.1.1113 with some changes to get it work

echo
1-Newbie
(To:pkeckes)

Thanks everyone.

Question to Peter, may I know where to get the complete Modbus package?

Can I use this package?

Content

pkeckes
1-Newbie

Click on my name and that will lead you to my profile page - there is attached zip file Microserver 5.3.1 Modbus example. The package you pointing is TWEMS is the example package I originally used, but it need a bit of configuration to get it work. There are also some issues with coils and discrete inputs as it was designed for TWEMS and not current WSEMS Microserver. I have some workaround in my Modbus example package. Compare them and use them as source examples for your project.

echo
1-Newbie
(To:pkeckes)

Thank you Peter,

I had re-download the EMS with Modbus package to my device, and got this error.

root@SL3000-1191D6:/opt/thingworx/MicroServer# ./luaScriptResource
[INFO ] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,244 ./luaScriptResource: Using config file: /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/config.lua
[FORCE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,253 ./luaScriptResource: Starting up ....

[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,282 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script log_level not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,284 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_host not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,287 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_host not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,291 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_host not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,293 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_host not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,294 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_port not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,295 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_port not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,296 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_port not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,297 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_port not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,299 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_ssl not found
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,299 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script rap_ssl not found

[DEBUG] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,375 ./luaScriptResource: Appending /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/clibs;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/clibs;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/clibs to current path /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
[INFO ] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,376 ./luaScriptResource: New path is /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/clibs:/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/clibs:/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/clibs:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
[DEBUG] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,515 luaScriptProxy::initialize: Name = modbus_handler

File = /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/scripts/modbus_handler.lua

LibraryPath = /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/lua/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/lua/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/lua/?.lua
InitData Ptr = 0

Persisted Props:
file = modbus_handler.lua
host = 128.100.20.49
name = modbus_handler

GlobalProps:
config_file_path = /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc
keepAliveRate = 6000
log_level = TRACE
rap_host = localhost
rap_port = 8000
script_clib_path = /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/clibs/?.so;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/clibs/?.so;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/clibs/?.so
script_directory = /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/scripts
script_library_path = /opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/thingworx/lua/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/custom/lua/?.lua;/opt/thingworx/MicroServer/etc/community/lua/?.lua
script_resource_host = 127.0.0.1
script_resource_port = 80

[DEBUG] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,607 luaScriptProxy::runScript: Starting Script
[TRACE] 2016-04-08 12:52:59,613 luaConfigurator::doGetItem: Global property or script modbus_handler not found

hope you can help. thank you

Top Tags