cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

(ping the name of your ThingWorx instance) What is the ThingWorx instance?

adeshmukh
3-Visitor

(ping the name of your ThingWorx instance) What is the ThingWorx instance?

I want to find out the IP address for that it required ThingWorx instance.

Please help me out how to know the ThingWorx instance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jill,

The 192.168.1.151:80 value for the IP is correct for the Getting Started App, for the enhanced one the port value is given separately, not in the IP input field. What TWX version are you using ? If you are using versions higher or equal to 6.0 you need to allow Rest calls to have it working. These are the steps to follow for this :

1.           Click on Subsystems under SYSTEM within the left pane of Composer

2.            Click on PlatformSubsystem

3.            Click on Configuration

4.            Check the box next to Allow Request Method Switch to allow all REST API calls through a browser URL

5.            Uncheck Filter Content-Type

Let me know if this fixes the issue,

Thank you,

Veronica

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

By ThingWorx instance, the document is referring to the server where ThingWorx is installed. Are you following a specific guide? Do you have ThingWorx installed locally or do you have access to a cloud instance?

yes, i have access to a cloud instace

Any one help me on that

Hi,

If you are accessing your ThingWorx instance at this URL for example http://thingworx-academic-staff.cloud.thingworx.com, your ThingWorx instance name is thingworx-academic-staff.cloud.thingworx.com.

Best regards,

Veronica

HI,

Run this command on your command line: ping ge2-3183.cloud.thingworx.com

This should give you the IP of the instance.

Best regards,

Veronica

Hi,

Thanks Veronica.

jirvin-2
6-Contributor
(To:vmihai)

Hi,

I have a ThingWorx instance installed locally.  How can I ping it?    I am currently working on the Android exercise in which the phone app sends data to the instance, but the phone app produces an error with connection.  I think it might be the IP I'm using, which is currently set to the LAN IP of my server the instance is on (my phone is also on the same local network wifi).  I also set the port, but I think maybe the ThingWorx instance has a separate lan ip?

Thanks.

Hi,

The IP of the PC on which ThingWorx is installed and that is connected to your Wi-Fi should work fine. You need to open the port on which your instance is on to be able to establish the connection. Here is a link that explains how to do this.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue and if you need help with anything else.

Thank you,

Veronica

jirvin-2
6-Contributor

Thanks Veronica for your quick response,

I have opened the ports (80 and 8080) for the instance.  I've tried port 80 the Tomcat server initially was set to and then updated it to 8080 in case it was interfering with another program.  Currently, the TW app says no data is being sent to TWX.  Is there a way to troubleshoot if the app is reaching the Thingworx instance?

Thanks!

Jill

Hi Jill,

You  can try to access your localhost in your phone's browser to make sure requests are indeed allowed through. Type this url in your phone's browser search bar : http://your-pc-ip:80. If you can see tomcat it means that requests are successfully allowed, if  you get page not found, reviewed your firewall inbound rule settings.

If you can see tomcat  the problem must lie somewhere in the way your configured the connection in the twx android app.. Which ThingWorx Android application are you using ? The Getting Started one  or the Enhanced one ? Please make sure you followed all the steps in the tutorial in the right order :

- import pre-built mashup

- create thing on the mashup based on your phone's imei

- configured connection settings on your phone correctly : app key, pc ip and port

- send data

Another method of troubleshooting the connection problem would be to connect your phone to your PC through an USB cable and  run the Android Project from Android Studio so you can see the logs and identify the problem.

Please let me know if you are in need of further assistance,

Thank you,

Veronica

jirvin-2
6-Contributor

Hi Veronica,

I've tried two different versions of the TW Anddroid app from both Getting Started and Enhanced one. I can access my server and Thingworx instance from a web browser on my android device. I've been troubleshooting with Android Studio but the project won't build. 

After reading the questions below, I wanted to make sure that I have the correct syntax for the Android app when I specify the IP and port.  My lan address for Thingworx Instance (the Tomcat server) is 192.168.1.151 and I'm using port 80 therefore in the app I've typed 192.168.1.151:80.  Would this be correct?

Thanks,

Jill

Hi Jill,

The 192.168.1.151:80 value for the IP is correct for the Getting Started App, for the enhanced one the port value is given separately, not in the IP input field. What TWX version are you using ? If you are using versions higher or equal to 6.0 you need to allow Rest calls to have it working. These are the steps to follow for this :

1.           Click on Subsystems under SYSTEM within the left pane of Composer

2.            Click on PlatformSubsystem

3.            Click on Configuration

4.            Check the box next to Allow Request Method Switch to allow all REST API calls through a browser URL

5.            Uncheck Filter Content-Type

Let me know if this fixes the issue,

Thank you,

Veronica

jirvin-2
6-Contributor

Thanks Veronica!  Worked immediately.

I am also facing the same problem .

I have installed it locally in my machine . And followed the installation steps as in manual .

vmihai
1-Newbie
(To:akhan1)

Hi Amjath,

If you have installed ThingWorx locally, you need to use the IP address of your PC as well as the port on which your tomcat is listening. The IP of your PC is the IP to use for your ThingWorx Instance.

Veronica

I am trying  by connecting to the same wifi access point

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : connectify

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1d04:e29d:465b:d9a8%4

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.53

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1

192.168.10.53   this ip address i have added in mobile .. port is 80  ...  still it is not working ..

Thanks for the very quick  response veronica ...

vmihai
1-Newbie

Yes, your PC and your Raspberry Pi need to be on the same network.

I am trying  by connecting to the same wifi access point

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : connectify

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1d04:e29d:465b:d9a8%4

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.53

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1

192.168.10.53   this ip address i have added in mobile .. port is 80  ...  still it is not working ..

Thanks for the very quick  response veronica ...

vmihai
1-Newbie

It's my pleasure to help . You may need to open the port on which your tomcat is listening, 80 in your case. Here is a tutorial to do this How to Access localhost on Android over wifi | MobiTechie​.

To check that you can access ThingWorx from your phone, put the ip address of your PC in your smarphone browser. If you see the tomcat localhost you are set up, if you cannot see it, verify your connection and firewall rules.

Thank you,

Veronica

akhan1
1-Newbie

Hi Veronica ,

I am able to access tomcat server in my Desktop as well as in mobile  using IPv4 address as mentioned above , I have restarted the tomcat server  .. But no data is coming in mashup ...

what might be the reason?

akhan1
1-Newbie

Hi Veronica ,

I tried by creating cloud instance http://ge2-5229.cloud.thingworx.com/Thingworx/Composer/index.html?guided=true&model=assembly&sessionId=428a031ed1df7ecc5…

And got the IP by pinging to     ge2-5229.cloud.thingworx.com

And added App key

port is 80  ......etc

... But in the mashup i am not able to get any data from my mobile .

could you help .... what i am missing here.

akhan1
1-Newbie

Hi Veronica ,

I am having trouble to getting started with Thingworx ...

I am trying Thingworx simple App as well as Enhanced Andriod App ....

In both cases Mashups are not showing any data . could help me what might me wrong . I tried cloud instance as well as local instance . I followed the steps as mentioned by you still  i am having trouble . can you please help me .

adrianpet
5-Regular Member

Hello,

First of all, I think we need to open another post for this. You all have described multiple issues on only one post. Let's try to keep this clean. Please check this post as answer because the first question was answered and solved. For the latest problem (in which you are not able to see any data in the mashups that you did for the Simple App and the Android App, please open another post on the Academic Forum: Academic Community because they are both projects from the Academic Program. I will personally answer this post. Also, when you open this post on the Academic Forum, please tell me what issue do you encounter in viewing the data in your mashup, what doesn't work, some print screens and so on)

Thank you,

Adrian

sure Adrian Petrescu​  i will do that ..

Thank you for responce

Top Tags