cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

A list of questions by a fresh

jsmith-21
1-Newbie

A list of questions by a fresh

Hi,All:

This is a fresh about thingworx.  I have few questions about thingworx:

1: Mashup already owns lots of widgets,  may i define my own kind of widget? or we call user-defined widget?

2:  A app run on diferent  smart phones can show the same appearance? typically different screen size and resolution?

3: May i use R or Python to analyse data stored in Thingworx?

4: What is the relationship among thing ,shape,template in composer?

5: When i connect lots of my things  to ThingWorx via  Internet,  is there any request for network capacity, like bandwidth or speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:jsmith-21)

Hi Jack were you able to take the Thingworx Fundamentals course? If you haven't yet, I highly recommend it.

1: Mashup already owns lots of widgets,  may i define my own kind of widget? or we call user-defined widget?

Yes we call these custom Widget Extensions

2:  A app run on diferent  smart phones can show the same appearance? typically different screen size and resolution?

You can use a Responsive layout for this, as long as the screen size and resolution aren't too far apart (don't design the same mashup for a desktop and smart phone)

Thingworx has a fully accessible REST API so this is possible

They have inheritance, you can think of Shapes are pieces of functionality that could be used across different types of Entities. ThingTemplates (like Classes) are what a Thing MUST be based on, the Template can implement (use) any number of ThingShapes. The Thing is the Entity that is the modeled representation of the actual equipment or system you are modeling.

5: When i connect lots of my things  to ThingWorx via  Internet,  is there any request for network capacity, like bandwidth or speed?

Not sure what you mean by request. But if you have devices, systems communicating back to Thingworx, capacity and bandwidth must always be considered. There are a variety of scaling options Thingworx provides to help with large deployments.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Hi Jack were you able to take the Thingworx Fundamentals course? If you haven't yet, I highly recommend it.

Yes we call these custom Widget Extensions

You can use a Responsive layout for this, as long as the screen size and resolution aren't too far apart (don't design the same mashup for a desktop and smart phone)

Thingworx has a fully accessible REST API so this is possible

They have inheritance, you can think of Shapes are pieces of functionality that could be used across different types of Entities. ThingTemplates (like Classes) are what a Thing MUST be based on, the Template can implement (use) any number of ThingShapes. The Thing is the Entity that is the modeled representation of the actual equipment or system you are modeling.

Not sure what you mean by request. But if you have devices, systems communicating back to Thingworx, capacity and bandwidth must always be considered. There are a variety of scaling options Thingworx provides to help with large deployments.

Hi Pai, thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm in Shanghai,China, there are always problems when i visit websites outside, mostly timeout.So,where may i take the fundamentals course? Is if free? I'm asked to have a deep comprehension of Thingworx, it's really diffcult because i'm lack of information. Can you send me some arcticles? My email: tigris011979@outlook.com.

Thanks again.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

They are taught through PTCU on https://precisionlms.ptc.com/

It isn't free content though. I think on PTC.com you can find ways to purchase those services I believe.

Else contact your PTC sales representative.

I'm not sure if there are representatives in Shanghai, i will try to find out. Thank you.

Another question by the way,

As thingworx can be placed on Cloud, Office, and many other places event mobile device,so,If i have data stored both in Cloud and local Server, and i want to use Mashup, Is it REST API that i can use to fetch data?

Thank you very much.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

We do have representatives in China/Shanghai and I actually forwarded your need, I hope someone will be able to contact you soon.

I think it may be best if you review the literature and capabilities of our platform and agent first, I think that should answer your question.

But the Thingworx platform is usually centrally installed and contains all the data. Mashups created using Thingworx will leverage the REST API to get that information, but the way to create the REST API that the mashups use is done in our IDE called Composer, so it is very easy to do.

Outside of that, information in Thingworx is accessible to you by REST API, but in the context of Thingworx and Mashups, you create the connections by just doing drag and drop.

It is a bit difficult to explain, so I hope our representatives in China will be able to get in touch with you soon.

You can send me a message if you have a preferred email that they can contact you on, and I will forward that.

Top Tags