cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Data Storage

jmay1
5-Regular Member

Data Storage

I'm curious about the data storage limits on streams, blogs, data tables, etc. How much data can generally be saved in these entities if using a platform that is hosted by TW? If business needs exceed these limits what are other options of data storage and archiving? Is there somewhere to view that storage used vs available?

7 REPLIES 7

Good question, I have a case opened for a long time without answer about DataTable "limits".

Even I'm not sure of the limits of TW hosted instance.

There are few options available for extended data storage and archival.

You can create a Thing that uses a Database Thing template to connect to any external Databases or archive it on NoSQL clusters etc. However, these external storage should be self hosted or subscribed to any 3rd party hosting services.

maneeshr
1-Newbie
(To:jmay1)

Hi Jenna,

Please refer this link of an Article which talks about data storage limits of Streams/Data Tables :

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS204089&lang=en_US

But 100k it's not Big Data, it's just a few registers....

Hi Carles,

For larger data you need to switch to external Database

Yest, but 100k registers it's not large nowadays, it's nothing, we can't say this is a Big Data IoT platform then.

From what I am hearing, there is a architectural limitation that is holding big data back, even when using Cassandra or Postgres backends but that is actively being worked on and hopefully by end of year we will have something that allows for actual big data and true High Availability load balanced architecture.

Right now, storing > a few million rows in a DataTable is no good and an external JDBC connection to some SQL database is the best option.

Top Tags