cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Pulling from Java SDK, and Insteon Hub RESTful API

rkmetz
1-Newbie

Pulling from Java SDK, and Insteon Hub RESTful API

Hello, I'm having a issue with something that I want to display in ThingWorx.

The concept of my project is that we are using Insteon Products, such as motion sensors, door sensors, smoke sensors, etc. connected to an Insteon Hub. We are then using a RESTful API to communicate to the Hub to get that data to our Java SDK. We want the Java SDK to then push that data to ThingWorx for display.

My question is can we pull data to ThingWorx instead of Pushing data.

I want to know what sensors we have available, and then store those sensors in a list, so a consumer can choose from what sensors they have active in the home. This will all be done through a mashup, the end  consumer will not have full access to the whole ThingWorx application. I am trying to avoid hard-coding sensors into the mashup.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
adrianpet
5-Regular Member
(To:rkmetz)

Hi,

The answer is yes, you can pull (retrieve) data to Thingworx from an external device. You can even use the RESTful API to do that. All you have to do is create a service inside a Thing in your Thingworx environment and you'll have to use the get method.

But, as I understand your problem is not retrieving the data, but you don't know for sure what sensors you have on your device. I am not familiar with Insteon Hub so I can't be of much help on that area, but like I said you should be able to use REST API to retrieve a value from an external device using the get method.

Thank you,

Adrian

I have a list widget already implemented, and things created for each sensor that have a thing template for their properties. Is there a service I can use to pull what sensors I have active into that list?

adrianpet
5-Regular Member
(To:rkmetz)

Hi,

You can use the default GetImplementedThingswithData service from the template that you used when you created all your things.

Thanks,

Adrian

Top Tags