cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

ThingWorx 7 doesn't take into account storage location the same way as TWX6

fseheutderonchi
5-Regular Member

ThingWorx 7 doesn't take into account storage location the same way as TWX6

Hello all,

I meet a strange behavior.

I am a ThingWorx developper and I keep different instances of thingworx on my laptop.

I have multiple folders with ThingWorx's Tomcat and storage inside.

In everyone of these folders, I have a setEnv.bat under Tomcat/bin which indicates the location of platform-settings.json using

set THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS=G:\GIVEN_SPECIFIC_PATH\Storage

And it totally works when I have ThingWorx 6.x wars deployed.

BUT

When I replace ThingWorx.war by a ThingWorx 7.0 war, it doesn't work anymore and plugs to the storage at the root of the drive.

I see that because, i see that I have different things or data depending on the war I use.

And when I go back to a ThingWorx 6.x war it works again.

How can I make sure that ThingWorx 7 takes into account the right platform-settings.json?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

As a work around try putting the platform-settings.json file in the root/ThingworxPlatform folder

Creating C:\ThingworxPlatform\platform-settings.json, in place of setting the location in THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS in setenv.bat, didn't seem to do anything for me in TW7.1.  (Tomcat is running from the C: drive so it still creates C:\ThingworxStorage, etc.)  Is that what you meant?  Should it be working?

For the record, the format of platform-settings.json has changed completely.  The details are in the 7.1 install guide, available at support.ptc.com -> Thingworx Platform -> Reference Documents.

Defining THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS environment variable doesn't work in ThingWorx7.0. But the workaround specified by Pai Chung should work.

I had to change the storage location on a windows installation recently (ThingWorx 7.2).

Here is the quick "how-to" for doing it.

1) Stop Tomcat

2) Copy existing "ThingworxBackupStorage" and "ThingworxStorage" folders to the desired location. "C:\PTC" is used in this how-to..

3) Set the environment variable THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS to C:\PTC

4) Put the code from below to the C:\PTC\platform-settings.json

5) Start Tomcat

{

"PlatformSettingsConfig": {

"BasicSettings": {

"BackupStorage": "C:\\PTC\\ThingworxBackupStorage",

"Storage": "C:\\PTC\\ThingworxStorage"

}

}

}

Top Tags