cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Collecting data from a cell phone

maciejzab
1-Newbie

Collecting data from a cell phone

Hello,

I am wondering how to approach an issue of collecting data from a cell phone. Say we have an android phone with a gps, accelerometr, light sensor and few other. Is there some way of streaming that data into ThingWorx.

I would like to avoid creating an android app that would do that for me if possible. 

Thanks,
Maciej

7 REPLIES 7
adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:maciejzab)

Hi Maciej,

This will almost certainly require an Android app of some sort. Unless there is an existing Android application that allows you to access these sensors and send their data to a server RESTfully, you'll need to write your own app.

adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:maciejzab)

Maciej,

Is this something you're working on for a demo or a working application?

Adam, 

More like a demo. We have few trainees and wanted them to do something fun and explore some possibilities of TW at the same time.

There is an app I have used on my iPhone called 'SensorLog'.  It is available on Android as well.  It streams data through a socket on the Wifi IP address.  My trainer demonstrated this at ThingWorx, and I have successfully used this to send the phone sensor data to an SDK and into ThingWorx. 

Nice approach Rob. do you have more details about it? I downloaded it but did not find the streaming options

Thanks

in Settings you set 'log data to:' socket, and choose a port.  The IP address of the handset is listed and the data starts flowing to this port/IP address....

Hi,

The approach I took was to use an already app on the iPhone (the Sensor Streamer) which sends the sensor data as UDP packets to a specific UDP server.

Then in the ThingWorx server I built a simple extension which acts as a UDP server and parses the content of the UDP packets in a Thread, for performance reasons.

Obviously, instead of an Extension running in ThingWorx you can also put the code in your favorite EMS SDK implementation....

Similar applications (for the phone) exists also for Android, like IMU+GPS-Stream.

Top Tags