cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Things into a List Widget

leisel
1-Newbie

Things into a List Widget

There's a very simple tutorial for creating a List based on the Things that depend on a certain ThingTemplate.

Thingworx Fundamentals 101 -- How To Use a List Widget - YouTube

which I found through here: http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_6.0_hc/index.jspx?id=thingworx01&action=show

The video makes sense but is not working for me, I've tried thinking of everything that could make this not work, so just to let you know where I am at:

My ThingTemplate has 4 Things that are dependent on it.

Inside the Mashup: For the Data of the Template I use 'GetImplementedThings' service to drag 'All Data' onto the List. The 'parameters' tab for 'GetImplementedThings' is empty, not sure if that matters.

I chose the 'Display Field' property of the List as 'Name' , so it shouldn't just appear as blanks.

I'm just looking for any other requirements I may be missing to make a List work. Otherwise i've followed the steps of that video but only ever get a blank list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Are you invoking 'GetImplementedThings'  service on mashup load?

If not, you can try of doing that. That can be done while adding the service. (You need set the check box)

With B/R,

Praveen.B

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

Are you invoking 'GetImplementedThings'  service on mashup load?

If not, you can try of doing that. That can be done while adding the service. (You need set the check box)

With B/R,

Praveen.B

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:preddy-2)

As a best practice I always recommend using a wrapped service, since (unless you have visibility defined) allowing a user to run this service will potentially allow them to retrieve more information then they should. (A very extreme case would be setting Max Retrieved to 1000000 if there were that many entities available)

There are a few exceptions to this, like the ValueStreamQueries which only run in the context of a Thing

It was a combination of all of these answers.

It turns out that I tried the "GetImplementedThings' service as mashup loaded, then as not loaded, and mixed up myself about which kind I was on.

That along with making sure I had the DisplayField property of the list chosen, it now works as one would expect.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:leisel)

Do you have an event to execute the service to actually bring in the data?

Tomellache2B
14-Alexandrite
(To:leisel)

Hello @leisel @PaiChung 

Please can you make this video available for me? : Thingworx Fundamentals 101 -- How To Use a List Widget - YouTube

I need my service to output a list of things depending on the input (The name of a template). E.g, if input == "Template1" then the output of the service should be all the thing names inside of Template1. 

Many thanks.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Tomellache2B)

I do not have ownership over these. I am uncertain though if those are up to date anymore either.

From what you are mentioning, you may have to add a filter to your service that returns the items for the list.

Tomellache2B
14-Alexandrite
(To:PaiChung)

Thank for your response @PaiChung 

My service returns the list. However, the problem I am now facing is getting the list widget to display the service output.

What I have already tried: Setting the Value and display field  widget properties to: "Name".

Pulled "All data" from my uncategorised service on the mashup.

Yet I still have a red block displayed on the list widget.

What else I am missing?

Many thanks.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Tomellache2B)

Have you checked to see what the error is that you are getting?

Tomellache2B
14-Alexandrite
(To:PaiChung)

Yes no data was being passed. I managed to solve the issue by binding the "selectionchange" widget property of the button bar to the input parameter of my service. I am now able to view a list of things on the list widget depending on which bar is selected.

Many thanks.

Jay_nisa.

Top Tags