cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

starting up with ThingWorkx cloud

ykhattab
1-Newbie

starting up with ThingWorkx cloud

Hi everyone, i am new to thingWorx and i am a bit lost . i am doing an IOT project with real hardware, except the cloud i need to use the ThingWorx cloud and create a database in the cloud so that when i connect my Galileo to the cloud it sends information to the cloud and retrieves data from the saved database. I cannot even find where to start with ThingWorx cloud i found description only! any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
adrianpet
5-Regular Member
(To:ykhattab)

Hi,

There are 2 options.

1. You already have an instance on which you have a username and password provided by default to you. In this case you should of received an welcome letter from my colleagues with username and password for that cloud instance. 

2. You have to register for the dev zone and an instance will be provided to you.

No matter which option you choose, you don't have to install anything(like tomcat, thingworx, etc). You have all of them pre-installed. 

Also, we have a sample project on how to connect a Galileo board with Thingworx here: Intermediate Projects | ThingWorx

I suggest you pick option one if your university is in the Academic Program and if you already have an Thingworx hosted instance.

Thank you,

Adrian

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
adrianpet
5-Regular Member

Hi,

Let me see if I got this right. You are trying to send data from an Intel Galileo board with some sensors on it to cloud. When you say cloud, what do you mean, do you mean that you have a cloud instance of ThingWorx on AWS like we provide in the Academic Program? Also, you make referrence to a database in cloud, what database is that? What version of ThingWorx are you using with what database. Neo4J, H2 or PostgreSql? Maybe you are saying that you want to save the data/content from ThingWorx to an external DB, is that case?

Please let me know more about your project, as in what cloud are you using, what DB, what version of TWX, do you have a local instance or a cloud instance on AWS(Amazon Web Servers), how to you connect to the TWX instance and so on.

Thank you,

Adrian

actually yes i want to send data from my galileo to a cloud, the thing is i am trying to setup a cloud using thingworx but i find it really hard i can't find much help online. i downloaded apache server, and i should deploy thingworx.war file but i cannot find it anywhere and i don't even know if what i'm doing is correct or not. And yes i need to add a database to my cloud but i need to finish setting up the cloud first. any help?

adrianpet
5-Regular Member

Hi,

Aren't you representing an university? I thought you are a student or teacher from an university that has joined the PTC IoT Academic Program. This program means that PTC will provide you with your own cloud instance of Thingworx on AWS(Amazon Web Servers), so you don't have to install anything. You will receive access(username and password) to an url where Thingworx will already be installed.

Also, you can use the Developer Zone when an instance will be deployed just for you as an user but with some limitations(you can't create more then 10 users, connect more then 5 devices, and so on), but that is perfect for a beginner in Thingworx. I suggest you check the www.thingworx.com website for more information on this(the Resources tab it's something that you might find really helpful).

Thank you,

Adrian

yes i am a student, i did create user name and password but for some reason i can't find the URL you talking about, it's a little bit too much information on that website i got lost 🙂 , and if i use the developer zone would it be easier ? (even if there are limitations i don't mind)

adrianpet
5-Regular Member

Hi,

There are 2 options.

1. You already have an instance on which you have a username and password provided by default to you. In this case you should of received an welcome letter from my colleagues with username and password for that cloud instance. 

2. You have to register for the dev zone and an instance will be provided to you.

No matter which option you choose, you don't have to install anything(like tomcat, thingworx, etc). You have all of them pre-installed. 

Also, we have a sample project on how to connect a Galileo board with Thingworx here: Intermediate Projects | ThingWorx

I suggest you pick option one if your university is in the Academic Program and if you already have an Thingworx hosted instance.

Thank you,

Adrian

hi again, i tried to register for academic program before but my university was not listed and thus i turned to the developer zone. I am registered on thingworx but i did not get any email with an instance which is maybe why i am having trouble right now, any suggestions?

N.B i am registered and can use the developer zone tutorials.

adrianpet
5-Regular Member

Hello,

The email that I was referring(welcome letter) to it's the one that you would receive if you would join the Academic Program. Also, for the dev zone you would of also receive an confirmation email for that instance that was provided. 

Not sure what N.B stands for Does this mean that now you can access the instance?

There is another option for you. You can always use the "Request More Information" and just say there that you forgot your password or your instance url.

Thank you,

Adrian

Top Tags