cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

What permissions do you need in order to create data table, streams, value streams, blogs and wikis?

adrianpet
5-Regular Member

What permissions do you need in order to create data table, streams, value streams, blogs and wikis?

Hi all,

I am trying to create data storage and collaboration collection entities inside TWX7.0 with Postgres and have some issues with this. I am able to create any of the mentioned entities (data table, streams, value streams, blogs and wikis) with a user that is part of the Developers or Administrators default groups but when I try to set this up for a simple user I am not able to do it. I did grant the following permissions:

1. Run Time and Visibility permissions for this user on the Persistence Providers collection

2. Run Time and Visibility permissions for this user on the ThingworxPersistenceProvider entity;

3. Run Time and Visibility permissions on the PlatformSubsystem.

4. Visibility, Visibility Instance, Design Time, Design Time Instance, Run Time and Run Time instance permissions for this user on the Blog Thing Template;

5. Run Time, Design Time and Visibility permissions for this user on the Blog Data Shape;

The message error displayed when i try to save the blog entity is: "save failed, status: "Internal Server Error", message: "Import Failed: java.lang.NullPointerException"

The message error displayed in the log file is: [context: com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext@7e0a38b6][message: Entity Not Found : [BlogThing]] and [context: com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext@1c485656][message: Import Failed: java.lang.NullPointerException]

Do I miss something? Is there something else that I have to set up in order to be able to create a blog or any other of the data storage and collaboration entities?

Thank you,

Adrian

10 REPLIES 10

Adrian, you can see/ edit the blog but can't save? Just to test, can you try giving Visibility and Design Time collection level permissions for both Things and ThingTemplates?

Hi all,

I'd like to know this as well. We are trying to write usage data to a stream object, and while we captured all entries from admin users, none of the usage data from actual end-users of our app got captured.

I tried setting all the visibility permissions mentioned above, logged into the Composer as a non-admin user, and tried to open the stream containing the usage data, but it gets stuck at the loading bar, and in the logs there are errors saying "Entity not Found".

It really seems like some permission is not being set, which allows non-admin users to write to this stream (or view it in the Composer). Where might these permissions be?

Thanks,

Steve

Aanjan
9-Granite
(To:schen-21)

Steven, what version of the platform are you using? The issue Adrian stated in this post has been fixed in the following versions -  6.5.13, 6.6.6, 7.0.3, 7.1.2 and 7.2.0.

Hi Aanjan,

Thank you for the quick response!

We are currently using 6.5.0-b460. Do we have to upgrade our ThingWorx platform, or is there some way that this feature could still work?

Thanks,

Steve

Aanjan
9-Granite

You would have to update to the new(er) version. At this time of writing, our latest available version in the 6.5.x branch is 6.5.15.

I see. Thanks for the information!

Aanjan
9-Granite

No problem, please try it out and let me know!

Hi all,

I have a similar issue like Adrian receiving the "save failed, status: "Internal Server Error", message: "Import Failed: java.lang.NullPointerException" error when trying to create a Value Stream. I am new to Thingworx using the PTC Academic Cloud Manager for ThingWorx. I found this info on the internet: CS238963. However, the ThingWorx Composer provided in the ACM is V7.01. Do I miss anything?

Thanks a lot!

Thomas

vmihai
1-Newbie
(To:tvoss)

Hi Thomas,

The current version of the Academic Cloud Manager doesn't support the creation of Blogs, Wikis and Values Streams as it is intended strictly to be used to follow the Udemy Fundamentals of IoT Development with ThingWorx Fundamentals of IoT Development with ThingWorx | Udemy, which do not require the creation of such Entities.

Have you encountered any issues with following the Udemy course  ?

Thank you,

Veronica

tvoss
1-Newbie
(To:vmihai)

Hi Veronica,

Thanks for your response. Oh, I see.

No, everything was fine running the Udemy course. I was following up with post-course references and somehow wanted to try out time series charts in my mash-up. From there I started to explore on value streams. I thought this function is available for learners.

Sorry for my confusion.

Best,

Thomas

Top Tags