cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to Remove Error Bars when the Connection to ThingWorx Host Server is Lost

kdonald
1-Newbie

How to Remove Error Bars when the Connection to ThingWorx Host Server is Lost

Hello,

I have found that when the network connection between my PC and the ThingWorx host server is lost, I get the following red error bar appearing in my mashup wherever there is missing data...

So my question, is there a way to configure thingworx so that when this connection is down, the error bar DOES NOT display?

Also, would it be possible to retain the most recent value (or a default) in the mashup until the connection is up again?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

To retain the most recent value you need to mark the property which is bind to the widget as persistent.

The properties are currently being persisted in the Thingworx server. However, my problem isn't the connection between the "things" and the Thingworx Server. My issue is when the connection is lost between the server and the web browsers trying to connect to the server.

If this connection cuts out, that's when the error bars appear over the widgets.

My problem arises when trying to access the webpages over unreliable wifi, that may cut out unexpectedly. In this case, I would like the gauges/widgets to retain their most recently received value, rather than switching to display the error bars.

dmoon
5-Regular Member
(To:kdonald)

I guess you are using the "Auto Refresh" widget to refresh values, right? Because of that, you will see the error whenever you have a problem to connect to the server. I think that is a really normal behavior and should show the error since it indicates that there is some problems to make connection to the server.

kdonald
1-Newbie
(To:dmoon)

That's correct, I'm refreshing the data every second, so the warning icons will flicker every second while the connection is down. I think this is intended functionality also.

However, it doesn't enable a user to explicitly identify the root of the problem at first glance. In contrast, our current dashboard turns into a flickering mess of errors, with no insight into where the problem may lie.

And as our WiFi connection is a known issue, we would like to implement our own simple custom response, to alert of this particular connection failure. For example, wait until the connection has been lost for a sustained period of time (i.e. 5-10 seconds), before triggering some form of alert e.g.

Aanjan
9-Granite
(To:kdonald)

Can you try unchecking 'ShowDataLoading'?

kdonald
1-Newbie
(To:Aanjan)

Yea, I tried that, didn't work, unfortunately.

Top Tags