cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

GPRS comunication with ThingWorx

jserrano
1-Newbie

GPRS comunication with ThingWorx

Hi all,

We are developing a solution implementing GPRS & TCP/IP and I am looking for the "generic path" I have to follow to get to work communication between the device and ThingWorx.

Some questions I am facing right now are the following:

• Do I have to develope an extension in order to arrange comunication between the device and Thingworx?
  • Is there a need of a listener implemented on Thingworx to get to comunicate with the device?
  • How does the device must send the key (maybe inside the TCP/IP package), to authenticate to Thingworx?
  • Where can I find extensive documentation about connectivity?

Thanks on advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Thingworx platform supports connectivity via connection services or edge depending on the device in context. I would suggest referring to these two links

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_edge/index.jspx?id=ThingWorxConnectionServer&action=show

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_edge/index.jspx?id=ems_wsems_topics-c_ems_wsems_section_introduction&action=show

There are Connection Servers, Device/Cloud Adapters and Tunneling Servers. Also there is Edge “Always On” SDK and REST apis that may be used. Each of these terms are described in the Thingworx help center and you may search the community site for specific how-tos.

ThingWorx offers multiple ways for authenticating Users. One can authenticate Users using a username and password or an Application Key. Even can  authenticate Users using Directory Services like an LDAP system as well. Please search for Security in the help center for more details.

One of the concerns we are facing is that our GPRS device is not enabled for sending an App Key. We are figuring out how to archive this step, maybe by re programing the firmware.

I'll check the links above.

Thank you for the support.

Aanjan
9-Granite
(To:jserrano)

Josue, in addition to Sajid's response, you can take a look at our Edge Help Center. It has information on our different connectivity options available.

I am already aware of the theory. What I get to understand is that I need some kind of "bridge" between the device and TWX? Is there any practical example or Lab Practice to get to a better understand?

Josue, you have different options at your disposal depending on the device. If your device supports programming - you may want to use Edge SDK and develop the connectivity logic on your device end - you can see this example - SDK Steam Sensor Example. Thingworx has SDK for C, Java, Android, DotNet and more...

Thank you Sajid Patel, but what about those devices that doesn't support programming? Wich could be the alternative for communicating with TWX?

Top Tags