cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

WS EMS or SDK

byutz
1-Newbie

WS EMS or SDK

Hello All,

I am about to start a project where we will need to put some sort of agent on a windows based device to communicate with Thingworx.  The agent will need to be able to upload files and parse out info from a txt file so that it can send it as properties to Thingworx.  How do you decide on what form to use, sdk(java) or ws ems?  It seems like they both can do the job, but is there a reason to go one way or the other?  Is it mainly personal preference?  I've worked with the Java SDK before and it was fairly straight forward, but my experience with the ems has been a little lackluster.  I don't want my personal experience to make me choose the wrong way to go .  Thanks for the input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:byutz)

Brian,

The big question is do you know Lua Script and feel comfortable coding your use case in it? If the answer is no, go with the Java SDK or C# .NET SDK (since it's a Windows device).

Also, customers typically use the EMS and LSR when they need a gateway scenario set up because it is pretty quick and easy to configure, vs writing all of your own code in Java to handle multiple devices communicating into one Java SDK hosted as a gateway.

Meghan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:byutz)

Brian,

The big question is do you know Lua Script and feel comfortable coding your use case in it? If the answer is no, go with the Java SDK or C# .NET SDK (since it's a Windows device).

Also, customers typically use the EMS and LSR when they need a gateway scenario set up because it is pretty quick and easy to configure, vs writing all of your own code in Java to handle multiple devices communicating into one Java SDK hosted as a gateway.

Meghan

Thank you! Exactly what I needed.

Top Tags