cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Remote Thing showing as unbound - how to bind to existing Thing?

mburke1
1-Newbie

Remote Thing showing as unbound - how to bind to existing Thing?

I'm a new user to the ThingWorx platform.  For the purposes of making things easier to explain, let's say I'm setting up a delivery truck system.

I have a hotspot device running the Edge Microserver set up that is successfully connecting to the platform and showing as an unbound thing in the monitor.  I have created a truck "thing" (from the RemoteThing template) on the platform side with the properties I need but I'm not sure how to bind that to the device running the EMS.

Is there a walkthrough on this type of setup or anyone who has experience doing so that might be able to explain what needs to match up to make binding work?  Does my device have to register with the same name/identifier as the thing I set up in the platform for them to link up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aanjan
9-Granite
(To:mburke1)

Mike, you can create a Thing with the same name listed in the Edge Microserver to automatically bind to that Thing (provided you give that name in the "auto_bind" section in the config.json). If you are using the config.lua to bring in properties, you can use the 'Identifier' section (available under General Information for that Thing) to browse and bind to your Thing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Aanjan
9-Granite

Mike, you can create a Thing with the same name listed in the Edge Microserver to automatically bind to that Thing (provided you give that name in the "auto_bind" section in the config.json). If you are using the config.lua to bring in properties, you can use the 'Identifier' section (available under General Information for that Thing) to browse and bind to your Thing.

mburke1
1-Newbie
(To:Aanjan)

Aanjan, thanks for the help!  The main device - a hotspot in the truck which is set up in config.json to connect to the EMS is connecting now and binding properly to the device.

I do have a secondary sensor device which is configured in the config.lua but comes in (unbound) as a different Thing name.  Is getting all those properties into the same Thing (ideally I'd like to have them all as properties of the Truck) as simple as having them all use the same Thing name/identifier?

Aanjan
9-Granite

Yes, it is that simple . If you have the same name in the Identifier section, it should be bind to the Thing automatically. In case it doesn't, you can either browse and choose in the Identifier section on the Remote Thing (preferred way) or just type in the Identifier's name in the same section.

Top Tags