cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Thingworx not running

TanmeyTWX
17-Peridot

Thingworx not running

Hi,

I'm trying to run Thingworx runtime as usual using URL but I'm getting a blank white page with no errors.Seems like Thingworx runtime page is loaded but Invisible.

Also tried to run Composer page but again no luck.Even tried to run Thingworx composer from Tomcat Apache console but same blank page after passing username and password for Authentication.

I had a RAM upgrade since its last working time but I guess that should not hamper Thingworx runtime/composer.

Its a new kind of issue to me.Did anyone ever faced this same issue or anyone has comments on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:TanmeyTWX)

Bit of an old school fix, try the following

Stop tomcat

Remove the <tomcat>/webapps/Thingworx folder (leave the war file)

remove <root>/ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage

restart tomcat

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Hi Tarun,

I would check the following paths:

- Check that the Tomcat service is running and that the Tomcat process is alive

- Check the ThingworxStorage / logs folder for any ThingWorx related errors

- Check the Tomcat_root / logs for any Tomcat related errors

Let me know what you've find on the logs.

Hi Horia,

Tomcat is running and alive. I checked into logs of Tomcat & Thingworx and found below information.

-Error log of Thingworx

at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyPreparedStatement.execute(NewProxyPreparedStatement.java:1392) ~[c3p0-0.9.5.jar:0.9.5]

at com.thingworx.persistence.postgres.PostgresDocumentModelDriver.removeFileTransferJobs(PostgresDocumentModelDriver.java:1066) ~[thingworx-platform-postgres-7.0.0-b2.jar:na]

Wrapped by: com.thingworx.common.exceptions.ModelAccessException: [2,002] No connection. Contact the administrator.

- Application logs of Thingowrx

[L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Starting All Things...

[L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Activating Subscriptions...

[L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Activating Property Bindings...

[L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Sending Post Start Notifications...

[L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Thingworx Server Application...ON

[L: INFO] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Datastore database...INITIALIZED

Seems everything initialized and started as expected and didn't find any severe error/warning in logs.

Note : found one memory leak log as:

SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [Thingworx] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@67b1b2f9]) and a value of type [java.util.Stack] (value [[SuperUser:User]]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

When you go to the Tomcat Manager page, does it say that Thingworx has started?

Yes Pai,

Tomcat Manager has Thingworx Platform "Running" status as "true"

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Bit of an old school fix, try the following

Stop tomcat

Remove the <tomcat>/webapps/Thingworx folder (leave the war file)

remove <root>/ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage

restart tomcat

Pai,

tried it but no luck again.

Authentication pop-up coming up,entered Username and Password,passed and then a blank page.

Strange..!!

ankigupta
5-Regular Member

Hi Tarun Nayyar​,

I would suggest you to try following:

1. Stop tomcat, clear <Tomcat_Installation>/work to clear tomcat cache, delete <Tomcat_Installation>/webapps/Thingworx folder, take backup and delete <root>/ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage,  start tomcat.

2. Clear browser cache and restart browser.

3. If the issue persist; check logs if DB is getting connected properly.

4. If the issue still persist; open a case PTC TS for further investigation.

Thanks,

Ankit Gupta

Hi Ankit Gupta,

just to keep a backup, I renamed these folders i.e. ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage and my thingworx started running.

But do i need to recreate these folders now?

What about the data which was stored in these folders i.e. what exactly are these folders for?

These folders i.e ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage were recreated automatically but now when I am importing any widget those widgets are being installed but not visible in mashup and even the extensions folder in the Thingworx folder is empty.

What do I do now to get the extensions.

Ankit GuptaPai Chung

ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:psaxena)

Priyanshi Saxena​ What errors are shown in the logs?

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Read the application log in ThingworxStorage Logs

Okay , I see , its in the different comments below

Except Thingworx Postgres folders,I deleted every other thingworx related folder on the system and did a Tomcat restart with modified pool memory and it WORKED.

I have to say, Thingworx behaves little strange sometimes and that leads to new learning.

Thanks Guys for your instant help n feedback. Much appreciated.

What version of Postgres do you have? If you go to your pgAdmin III tool, can you see the thingworx section under both Databases and Tablespaces? If you expand Databases -> thingworx -> Schemas -> Public -> Tables, how many tables do you see there?

Tarun Nayyar​ Are you using mysql database in backend ? 

ModelAccessException: [2,002] No connection :

In your case it looks like Your DB has not started as you are getting the message that indicates there is no server running and therefore listening for requests.

Look at the postgres log and if that tells you nothing look at the Windows event log, in the 'Windows -> Applications` section. Error messages in there are pretty good at identifying the cause of Db failing to start.

Aanjan Ravi​ , I think its related to databases not started or some configuration issues , wherein port number or server details might not  be in correct , Please let me  know your views as well , as

ModelAccessException: [2,002] No connection : is definitely Db not responding.

Durgesh Patel​ We faced this issue with one of our client , whose db was not properly set up , would you like to add something as well  and we resolved it .

dmoon
5-Regular Member

Which version of a web browser are you using?

Hi Pai Chung,

I did face the same issue and it was resolved after deleting the ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders. But how do i get these folders back i.e do i need to recreate them? and what about the data in these folders.

ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:psaxena)

Hi Priyanshi Saxena​, Did you take a backup of these folders before deleting them. It is always recommended to take backup.

Also, what was the error in logs? Deleting the folders should be the last option but in general we should actually check the logs to find out the Root cause.

After deleting these folders all the data will be lost for Neo4j and H2 Database. The ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders will be auto created again but it will behave like a new instance.

In case of Postgresql; their will be some inconsistency as the extensions are available in these folders and their will be entities based on these extensions in the Database which will cause null pointer exception.

So, in short always delete with caution and always make sure to take a backup of whatever we want to delete.

Hi Ankit Gupta​,

Yes I have a backup of my old folders (I actually renamed them), but now my extensions are not getting imported and the previous ones are not being deleted (they are actually misbehaving).

The Extensions folder in ThingworxStorage is empty.

Top Tags