cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Time Zones - Working with data in multiple time zones

grahamall
1-Newbie

Time Zones - Working with data in multiple time zones

Are there any Resources or Things in TW5 to help with time zone conversion?  I'm working with sensors that will always send data (vai rest) in UTC and so I need switch them between GMT and BST (Summer time =1hr) for part of the year?

I'm thinking of just adding the Offset between local time and UTC and I think this will work in the UK but what about if I were working on a project where the sensors are in UTC, The client was in America and the server is in the UK?  In this case would the offset would still be between UTC and the time in London (where the server is)?  What would happen when the client in america viewed the data?

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Allan,

I created one enhancement request for this (add offset value on UTC timestamp)
and another one to be able to add offset as parameter to all widget involved with 
time related (eg: time picker, time sereis ...).

Regards,
Franck

Hi Franck,

That's not enough, this doesn't solves the TimeZone lack of functionality of ThingWorx at all, and it produces more problems than solutions.

ThingWorx should support TimeZone on Widgets, but TimeZones ( like the ones on IANA database ) not Offsets, Offsets are not the way to go.

As you know, I've already re-build the Widgets ( Grid, PropertyDisplay, DataTime Picker, TimeSelector, TimeSeries and Export ) by myself to support TimeZone in the correct way. Also on the server side one extension to work with TimeZones.

Now it's in your side to use it or not, as I've shared to you guys.

Best Regards,

Carles.

Has there been any progress on incorporating time zone support into ThingWorx? Are there any extensions that support the IANA/Olson or Microsoft standard ids or can handle daylight savings conversions?

Hi Andy,

I've been pushing TW/PTC last 8 months  and having a lot of conversations with them about it, still no answers... By the end of this week, they should say something about it to us.

Please make me a ping on a week, if I don't answer back here...

Best Regards,

Carles.

Hi Andy,

This is the answer from Support/R&D:

Outcome : R&D informed they did put this topic in the list for next-gen architecture. From a composer stand-point, a talk is necessary with Next-Gen. Due to the current work being done for LiveWorx however,  this discussion is still pending. Sorry for not having more news here.

Then, we should not expect nothing for the near future about this topic.

Carles.

Hello Carles,

have you got any news from Support/R&D about the time zone support in the meantime?

Thank you.

Regards,

Marco

No 

There is the capability to do a timeshift (Resources["InfoTableFunctions"].TimeShift(params); ) and you define the shift value.

pcheah
8-Gravel
(To:keriw)

Just an update, I came across this problem also and think maybe I can share my solution here.

Keri is right, just use the timeshift function. You can just create a timeshift service with InfoTable as input. For this example, I set my Shift=-28900(- 8 hours).

Then, link the (All data) of the original service(lets say GetihRawData10) to the input(Infotable) of the timeshift service. Please take note that the datashape should be the same.

Then Drag the "ServiceCompletedCompleted" from the GetihRawData10 to the timeshift service.

Finally, drag the "All Data" from the timeshift service to a grid or chart to display the data.

You should see the timestamp values being offset by -8hours.

Hope it helps.

Top Tags