cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Java Edge SDK Agent problem with Windchill Extension SSO

jacekgra
1-Newbie

Java Edge SDK Agent problem with Windchill Extension SSO

I have a big problem with running Java edge SDK agent when I am enabling Windchill filter on Tomcat (for SSO).

When I remove the filter the agent is able to connect, so the filter is blocking the agent from working.

Any hints? I am preety sure this is common problem

EDIT:

I am using Thingworx 7.1  and Windchill extension 1.3.0, but the problem was reproducible on older versions also.

5 REPLIES 5

When the Tomcat filter is enabled for the Windchill extension, it will contact Windchill for authentication (via a special URL).

So if you're trying to connect your Edge SDK agent the credentials might be verified by Windchill and it's LDAP (Windchill DS) instead of ThingWorx.

As soon as you remove the filter, the ThingWorx authentication is back in the game to verify the credentials.

Are you authenticating with a AppKey or with username / password?

This is something I am aware of. But normally Tomcat filter should be skipped when appKey is present in the request or parameter (I've decompilled the filter code and it works as expected).

I am authentication with the appKey in "normal" Java SDK way (in ClientConfigurator):

@PostConstruct
private void configure() {

this.setUri(thingworxWsUrl);
  this.setAppKey(thingworxAppKey);
  this.ignoreSSLErrors(ignoreSSLErrors);
}

In other words - I am using setAppKey method on ClientConfigurator object which I use for the conectivity afterwards.

I was not involved in Java SDK development so I do not know how exactly the SDK is treating the appKey when establishing websocket connection, but definatelly its working OK.

The problem is related to the filter implementation/configuration itself and I am wondering whether anybody has faced this issue (I've heard that it's possible that ticket to Thingworx R&D was opened for this).

Looking at the code it indeed checks for using an AppKey or "normal" authentication.

So whenever you're connecting via an AppKey the whole mechanism (authenticating via Windchill as setup by the Tomcat filter) will be bypassed.

There seems to be some logging that could help out here.

I'll check if and how we can utilize it to bring the issue to R&D's attention.

yevans
4-Participant
(To:jacekgra)

Did you ever figure this out? I am having a similar issue, trying to let terminals on the shop floor open a mashup using an appkey, but even using the URL with the appkey specified, and x-thingworx-session set to true. they still get prompted for authentication.

Thanks,

Yale

Unfortunatelly not, I had to disable Windchill SSO. I think that the problem is raised with Thingworx R&D.

The only solution is to write own Tomcat filter which will bypass redirection to Windchill if the request contains appKey (so normally you can have SSO with Windchill, but devices which are using appKey can be authorized with normal appKey Thingworx authenticator).

Top Tags