cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Open weather app tutorial problem

msutton
1-Newbie

Open weather app tutorial problem

Hi Everyone

I am having a problem with the open weather app tutorial. I have followed the tutorial but i get an error when testing the code. I have created my own API key using the link in the tutorial. I didn't know if there may be an issue with having copied the code from the PDF and whether formatting has been lost.

See error below

Wrapped org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connect to api.openweathermap.org:80 [api.openweathermap.org/178.62.207.82, api.openweathermap.org/178.62.223.38] failed: Connection timed out: connect Cause: Connect to api.openweathermap.org:80 [api.openweathermap.org/178.62.207.82, api.openweathermap.org/178.62.223.38] failed: Connection timed out: connect

And the code i'm using below

var stringLocation=location+" ";

var arrayLocations=stringLocation.split(",");

var lat=arrayLocations[0];

var long=arrayLocations[1];

//Modify the open weather url here if you are using your own API key

var params = {

url: "http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?lat="+lat+"&lon="+long+"&units=imperial" +"&type=accurate&mode=xml&APPID=75239107b41bd2c2a72e2e3c7b89b550" /* STRING*/,

timeout: 160 /* NUMBER */

};

// result: XML

var xmlPage = Resources["ContentLoaderFunctions"].LoadXML(params);

var params = {

infoTableName : "InfoTable",

dataShapeName : "OpenWeatherFeed"

};

// CreateInfoTableFromDataShape(infoTableName:STRING("InfoTable"),dataShapeName:STRING:INFOTABLE(OpenWeatherFeed)

var result = Resources["InfoTableFunctions"].CreateInfoTableFromDataShape(params);

var from_today_value=xmlPage.forecast.time[0].@from.substring(0,10);

a.logger.warn("from_today_value= "+from_today_value);

for each (var item in xmlPage.forecast.time) {

var row = new Object();

var from_current_value=item.@from.substring(0,10);

row.WindDirection = item.windDirection.@name;

row.WindSpeed=item.windSpeed.@mps;

row.WeatherTemp=parseFloat(item.temperature.@value);

row.WeatherHumidity=parseFloat(item.humidity.@value);

row.From=item.@from;

row.To=item.@to;

row.Title=xmlPage.location.name+" "+xmlPage.location.country;

row.Precipitation=(item.precipitation.@type+" "+item.precipitation.@value)==" "?"NoPrecipitation":item.precipitation.@type;

result.AddRow(row);

}

Thanks Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Everyone

Turned out the issue was with the firewall blocking access to the open internet here at work

Thanks Matt 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ttielebein
12-Amethyst
(To:msutton)

Are you sure that is the right API Key? Also, have you made sure that everything rendered right, like even newlinee characters? I have had issues copying from PDFs into ThingWorx in the past

Hello Everyone

Turned out the issue was with the firewall blocking access to the open internet here at work

Thanks Matt 

ttielebein
12-Amethyst
(To:msutton)

Can you mark this answer as correct to help others find the answer to their problems more easily? Thanks, and glad to hear you got it working!

Top Tags