cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

FAIL - Application at context path /Thingworx could not be started

spatel-21
1-Newbie

FAIL - Application at context path /Thingworx could not be started

I've been trying to install Thingworx 7.2.4

Java - 1.8.0_112

Apache tomact - 8.033

postgres 9.4.10.1

After deploying Thingworx.war in webapps, when I start the server, Thinworx is not starting.

I get error message FAIL - Application at context path /Thingworx could not be started

I've attached apache logs along with post.

thingworx_start_error.png

Message was edited by: Siddharth Patel Attached tomcat and thingworx logs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:spatel-21)

I see

2016-12-20 19:24:28.303+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.p.p.PostgresDocumentModelDriver$SystemDocumentModelInformation] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Platform being shut down because System Ownership can not be acquired.

Please refer to the following document Frequently Seen Errors upon launching the Thingworx application:, "this type of error points at the security/permission issue. As all of the installation operations should be performed by a root/Administrator role, the following points should be verified.."

Try to:

• Ensure both Tomcat and ThingworxPlatform folders have relevant read/write permissions
  • The title and contents of the configuration file in the ThingworxPlatform folder has changed from 6.x to 7.x
    • Check if the right configuration file is in the folder
  • Verify if the name and password provided in this configuration file matches the ones set in the Postgres DB
  • Run the Database cleanup script, and then set up the database again.
  • Assigning read/write permissions to everyone user group to fix the script execution and then execute the batch file:
    • Right-click on ‘ThingworxPostgresStorage’ directory -> Share with -> specific people.
    • Select drop-down, add everyone group and update the permission level to Read/Write.
    • Click Share.
    • Executing the batch file as admin.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
posipova
20-Turquoise

Instead of deploying through the Tomcat manager browser page, turn the tomcat off, go to the folder where your tomcat is installed and drop (copy and paste) the Thingworx.war file in the "webapps" directory.  Make sure there is no Thingworx already installed/deployed in that folder. IF there is - delete it beforehand. Once you copy the .war file into that directory, start the Tomcat and it will unpack the .war accordingly.

Hi Polina,

Thanks for your reply.

I've already tried that. Infact I tried uninstalling the complete thing and reinstalling it, just to see if I get some different result.

- Siddharth

posipova
20-Turquoise

Have you run both of the set up scripts for postgresql? If you open Pgadmin and right click on the database, first ensure it's connected. Then expand until you can see tables created by the scripts - there should be 53.

Please attach the screenshot of the expanded pgadmin view for the database and the logs from your ThingworxStorage/logs/Applicationlog.log and Tomcat/logs/catalina out

Hi,

No I'm getting only 48 tables.

I'm attaching latest logs in the question

pgadmin_1.png

posipova
20-Turquoise

I see

2016-12-20 19:24:28.303+0530 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.p.p.PostgresDocumentModelDriver$SystemDocumentModelInformation] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] Platform being shut down because System Ownership can not be acquired.

Please refer to the following document Frequently Seen Errors upon launching the Thingworx application:, "this type of error points at the security/permission issue. As all of the installation operations should be performed by a root/Administrator role, the following points should be verified.."

Try to:

• Ensure both Tomcat and ThingworxPlatform folders have relevant read/write permissions
  • The title and contents of the configuration file in the ThingworxPlatform folder has changed from 6.x to 7.x
    • Check if the right configuration file is in the folder
  • Verify if the name and password provided in this configuration file matches the ones set in the Postgres DB
  • Run the Database cleanup script, and then set up the database again.
  • Assigning read/write permissions to everyone user group to fix the script execution and then execute the batch file:
    • Right-click on ‘ThingworxPostgresStorage’ directory -> Share with -> specific people.
    • Select drop-down, add everyone group and update the permission level to Read/Write.
    • Click Share.
    • Executing the batch file as admin.

Hi Polina,

Yes the folders are shared with "Everyone"  and they are having "Read/Write" access.

I've been pointed out by sushant, that there might be some permission issue. I'll try to reinstall with other user. But I doubt if that is real reason, for Thingworx 6.6 worked just fine, when I had installed it using the same user.

On separate note, when I try to install using other user, should I install all the softwares?

Tomcat, Postgres etc ?

Thanks

Siddharth

supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:posipova)

Hi Polina Osipova​ i had a webex with him on this there was issue earlier because he had no table at all because the scripts failed after fixing this he got those 48 tables created in the storage. Although the startup failed but i just got his confirmation just now that server works after changing the platform-settings.json.

But you are right about the access rights stuff i saw the same and pointed it out to him about the same.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Great! I saw the logs were attached 20 minutes ago, didn't realize it's already been resolved in between.

supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:posipova)

Yeah actually he have a case opened with me and while sorting some settings we noticed that his Apache Tomcat won't come up let alone ThingWorx - but he now confirmed over email that at least that is starting up - checking up with him on the ThingWorx now. But indeed he do have issues with the access being denied while editing or copying files around on the drive where ThingWorx is being installed.

Hi Sushant,

With the updated platform-settings file, I'm able to start Tomcat server. However the Thingworx application is still not getting started.

- Siddharth

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Thanks Siddharth Patel​ for updating the thread.

Top Tags