cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to add a texture or image on the model?

汐xie
5-Regular Member

How to add a texture or image on the model?

Hello, everyone!

I want to add a texture on the model. I have tried to add by using ProE. But it disappeared when I browsed through Creo View. And it also disappeard after uploading to ThingWorx Studio.Therefore, I want to add it directly in ThingWorx Studio.

Does anyone know how to complete it or have another ideas to add a texture or image on the model?

Thanks a lot.

3 REPLIES 3
ttielebein
12-Amethyst
(To:汐xie)

What exactly do you mean by "model" here? Are you referring to the mashup? Like are you trying to set the background? And what exactly is meant by "texture"?

汐xie
5-Regular Member
(To:ttielebein)

Hi Tori,

We are now using ThingWorx studio to modify a panel model, and we want to add/change pictures on the panel surface.

We can add the picture to panel surface in Creo 2, but it can not be display in ThingWorx Studio. So our question is how can we add/change picture on a model in ThingWorx studio? Do we need install other TW tools for the action?

Thanks.

Hi,

There's a couple of points where you can lose the textures.

When you export the PVZ file out of Creo, the default recipe file used by Creo for publishing does not include textures, so you'll need to update your settings to make sure they are included.  See here for more details: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS75925.

When you bring the PVZ file into ThingWorx Studio, if you run the CAD optimizer, it will strip out all the textures.  I posted about this a while ago How to keep textures when using the CAD optimizer?  Unfortunately, I couldn't stop this from happening so I ended up loading the textures as 3D images in studio and then manually placing them on the surfaces that I wanted to achieve the same effect.  (Shout out to Tara McCombie for this suggestion.)  This is OK if it's just a single image on a flat surface.

For more complicated examples, I've ended doing some manual hacking together of the PVZ file. I've taken the OL files from inside the PVZ file that came out of Creo that have the textures and replaced the optimized versions in the PVZ file created by the CAD optimizer.  That way I get a PVZ file that has a smaller file size and the textures that I want.

It will be nice if the optimizer process can be updated to not remove textures as these can make a huge difference in terms of the realism of the AR experience.

Cheers,

Allan

Top Tags