cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

why getDataTableEntries doesn't work in java extension?

cjones-5
1-Newbie

why getDataTableEntries doesn't work in java extension?

So I'm trying to make a call of our dataTable in an extension so I can then get an ID out of it and add it to an event message. But if I try to use GetDataTableEntries or FindDataTableEntry then it errors out of the try block. The errors are not helpful. I think I am instantiating my DataTableThing incorrectly and so when I reference any of its methods it fails, I haven't found how in the docs/api but just found examples like that.

The code is as follows:

try{

DataTableThing db = (DataTableThing) ThingUtilities.findThingDirect("myDataTable");

if(db != null)

log.info("Found the db");

InfoTable myInfoTable = db.GetDataTableEntries((double) 500)); //this also does not work if I pass null

log.info("Was able to get data table entries");

}catch(Exception e){

log.info("Couldn't get data Table entries");

}

I typed this out so if there are syntax issues feel free to ignore them.

3 REPLIES 3

What version of the extension developer are you using? I believe ThingUtilities is deprecated, but I can't find any documentation on it, so maybe not.

You may want to try using the EntityUtilities class:

DataTableThing myThing = (DataTableThing) EntityUtilities.findEntity("MyThing", ThingworxRelationshipTypes.Thing);

Can you debug and see if your call to find the entity is returning something? What do the errors say?

We are using Thingworx 6.0 just to clarify. I tried your solution and also I tried

DataTableThing db  = (DataTableThing) ThingManager.getInstance().getEntity("myDataTableThing");

your solution returns null because it does not get past my error check. My attempts both return something, but still says unable to get entries: null so its a null object I assume.

I just hooked up the debugger and it finds it and I can see the description. But as I step through I get to where the datatable entries are showing in the variables in eclipse. Its strange because I'm seeing the current row is -1 and the size is 0. But if I look at the context it shows one row with all the fields filled as I'd expect.

Top Tags