cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

What is the difference between the Thingworx Connection Server and the Edge Microserver?

ptc-4770640
1-Newbie

What is the difference between the Thingworx Connection Server and the Edge Microserver?

When would you choose one over the other? I can't find much documentation on the Connection Server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob, an easy way to explain this would be - think of Connection Server as a load balancer. If you wanted to connect, say 1000 remote devices to the platform, which keeps taxing the platform with requests, connecting them to the platform via a Connection Server will ease the load.

The Edge MicroServer is a software/ tool which connects the remote device to the platform via WebSockets.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rob, an easy way to explain this would be - think of Connection Server as a load balancer. If you wanted to connect, say 1000 remote devices to the platform, which keeps taxing the platform with requests, connecting them to the platform via a Connection Server will ease the load.

The Edge MicroServer is a software/ tool which connects the remote device to the platform via WebSockets.

Hi Aanjan, Thanks for the reply. I have a follow up question. Does this imply that you would use both products in parallel then? Or does one replace the other.

They don't replace the other, as they are intended for two very different functions. You can use them in parallel though. The Edge Microserver pretty much opens a websocket connection from the remote device or the computer you are running it from, to the platform. You can send/ receive data both ways.

Sounds to me like you would need a Connection Server to manage multiple devices connected via one or more Edge MicroServer(s).

Device(s) ==> Edge MicroServer(s) ==> Connection Server (load balancing) ==> Thingworx (platform)

Would this be a valid configuration?

Yes, that would be a valid configuration. Again, a connection server would come into picture only when the volume or the number of devices is high.

On many implementations there are no connection servers needed because the number of assents is low <10.000 or the assets are not AlwaysOn and/or do not send large amount of data. Only if both conditions (many assets and much traffic) come into play there is need to start with connections servers to do load balancing.

Try without first.

mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4770640)

Please remember to mark a response as correct if there are no further questions.

To mark answers correct is a super user function. This is nothing I can do. Maybe the question originator can mark it.

That's correct Stefan Bode​, only the original poster, and site admins, have the the ability to "Mark As Correct".

mhollenbach
5-Regular Member
(To:StefanBode)

That was directed at Rob Nalecz. Sorry Stefan for the confusion.

Top Tags