cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

What is the use of "Push threshold" parameter of a remote property? (Edge Micro-Server)

Michail
9-Granite

What is the use of "Push threshold" parameter of a remote property? (Edge Micro-Server)

The aim is to introduce a dead-band on a number of properties in order to eliminate noise. However, having experimented with the remote property options I've concluded that using "Push threshold" parameter is not a feasible solution for my application.

Take an integer property for instance. Set a push threshold of 2. Allow the property to increase, where each increase is lower than a push threshold. What you will notice in the Composer is that the integer property won't change at all, although the actual value had increased considerably.

For example, after each scan the property on the Edge changes as follows: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15 ... 100.

The platform would store only the initial value, 1. If after that 100 changes to 103, only then the property on the platform end will get updated to 103. As you can see - a lot of lost data points.

I was hoping that the push would be based on a current Edge value and a value which is stored on the platform. Referring to example above - 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, etc.

However this is not the case.

Push threshold is simply the difference between current and previous values in . As you can see the latter can lead to inaccurate data being stored in the database.

Hence the question, what's the point? Is there an alternative solution to my problem? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ttielebein
12-Amethyst
(To:Michail)

Hey so just to add some documentation on this: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS252792&lang=en_US

If you notice here, you'll see the push value threshold and the push type "VALUE" is meant to reduce noise and to improve performance when using "noisy" measurement instruments. There is no OOTB functionality designed to be used the way you seem to need, but that could be developed custom.

Pai Chung​, I don't think you are right about the EMS functionality. Looking at the template.lua file, the start() service, it appears to only check what property value exists on the Edge and compare the new value to that. I think for both the EMS and the SDKs, this is not supported functionality.

Developers would need to take the measurement data retrieved from their instruments and sensors and compare it against the current property on the platform themselves. In the EMS, this would be very, very tricky. In the SDKs, not so much.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

On the platform side I believe the threshold is indeed supposed to work 'cumulative' if my threshold is 2 and I increase 1 then 1 again it should push the value.

And in our OOTB WSEMS I believe it should honor that behavior.

I'm not sure if that applies to our SDKs

Forgot to mention, I am using OPC DA EMS

ttielebein
12-Amethyst

Hey so just to add some documentation on this: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS252792&lang=en_US

If you notice here, you'll see the push value threshold and the push type "VALUE" is meant to reduce noise and to improve performance when using "noisy" measurement instruments. There is no OOTB functionality designed to be used the way you seem to need, but that could be developed custom.

Pai Chung​, I don't think you are right about the EMS functionality. Looking at the template.lua file, the start() service, it appears to only check what property value exists on the Edge and compare the new value to that. I think for both the EMS and the SDKs, this is not supported functionality.

Developers would need to take the measurement data retrieved from their instruments and sensors and compare it against the current property on the platform themselves. In the EMS, this would be very, very tricky. In the SDKs, not so much.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:ttielebein)

thanks for checking that Tori.

Thank you for confirming this.

Top Tags