cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Installation of Studio Fails,tunneling socket could not be established

pandersson
13-Aquamarine

Installation of Studio Fails,tunneling socket could not be established

Hello All,

I have this issue with Thingworx Studio and I would guess that there can be some issues with firewalls but I can't solve it

Here are extracts from one log-file:

14:30:46] info: [twx-studio:projectHelper] Building ves-ar-extension app: Studio Sample - Import 3D Data

[14:31:00] Reloading Browsers...

[14:31:21] error: [twx-studio:auto_configure] 500 'Unable to retrieve service details.' Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 52.202.124.16:443

[14:31:21]     at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)

[14:31:21]     at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1049:20)

[14:31:21]     at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1085:14)

Here are another problem at another site. (other firewall)

error: [twx-studio:basic] user/pw failed verification XXXX@XXXXXXX.com null Error: tunneling socket could not be established, cause=getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND 8080 8080:80

[10:33:54]     at ClientRequest.onError (C:XXXXXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\ThingworxStudio\studio-download.vuforia.io\node_modules\tunnel-agent\index.js:176:17)

[10:33:54]     at ClientRequest.g (events.js:291:16)

[10:33:54]     at emitOne (events.js:96:13)

Any tips on how to setup Studio/Proxy/Firewalls to make this work?

/Per

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BruceHulse
6-Contributor
(To:pandersson)

This looks like their client cannot resolve the server name via DNS. This could be a firewall or proxy issue or the use of tools like Umbrella.

To help diagnose this, use nslookup [fullyQualifiedDomainName] and see if it can find the server's IP address:

Sample that finds the FQDN...

D:\>nslookup gj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io

Server:  andcsv-secdns1p.ptcnet.ptc.com

Address:  10.80.16.142

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    gj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io

Address:  174.129.61.118

Sample that does not find the FQDN...

D:\>nslookup xxgj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io

*** andcsv-secdns1p.ptcnet.ptc.com can't find xxgj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io: Non-existent domain

Try this both from inside the company's firewall and from the user's cell phone hotspot or home network. If there is a difference in the results, it points to some sort of blocking being done by the company. The user should contact their IT department, showing them their nslookup results.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
posipova
20-Turquoise

giriMichael Neumann​ could you please provide any input on this?

Per, Not sure if you are registered with Studio Trial program. Looking into your logs, I see that your local studio is not connected to ThingWorx platform and Experience Service. As of now, for the current release (trial version), PTC provides a hosted ThingWorx Platform and Experience Service for the registered users.

If you are a registered user, I would suggest to look into your ES url configurations.

-Giri

pandersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:katte)

Hello,

We have looked into the ES settings and when we try to validate them we get this:

We can contact the server via Chrome so we have the correct password.

Per

BruceHulse
6-Contributor

Since in this case you can use Chrome to access the URL, this appears to be related to the Settings for Thingworx Studio. This looks to me like some sort of invalid proxy specification is in place. 8080 8080:80 is definitely not a valid IP address.

Is there a proxy in place at the company? Check it via Chrome's advanced settings. If there is one in place, you need to use the same settings in Thingworx Studio. It will not automatically adopt the browser settings.

pandersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:katte)

Hello,

Same error at another customer:

Now I have at least the correct url in the error message.

/Per

BruceHulse
6-Contributor

This looks like their client cannot resolve the server name via DNS. This could be a firewall or proxy issue or the use of tools like Umbrella.

To help diagnose this, use nslookup [fullyQualifiedDomainName] and see if it can find the server's IP address:

Sample that finds the FQDN...

D:\>nslookup gj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    gj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io

Address:  174.129.61.118

Sample that does not find the FQDN...

D:\>nslookup xxgj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io

*** andcsv-secdns1p.ptcnet.ptc.com can't find xxgj6mbgz0.pp.vuforia.io: Non-existent domain

Try this both from inside the company's firewall and from the user's cell phone hotspot or home network. If there is a difference in the results, it points to some sort of blocking being done by the company. The user should contact their IT department, showing them their nslookup results.

pandersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:BruceHulse)

The issue was that the customer is using a proxy script dynamically assigning proxy server dependent on where you are located. Thingworx Studio requires a fixed proxy server.

Top Tags