cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Disable Squeal URL page for certain Users

pcheah
8-Gravel

Disable Squeal URL page for certain Users

Can we disable Squeal URL page for certain Users?

5 REPLIES 5
paic
1-Newbie
(To:pcheah)

I don't think you can disable the page URL.

Squeal searches will run within the defined security context.

With proper home or landing screens defined, a user would only get to Squeal if they specifically type in the link directly to Squeal.

StefanBode
10-Marble
(To:paic)

Hi Pai,

with other services we can use the access rights to enable/disable them as requested for the use case. I'm wondering that this is not possible with the squeal service page.

There isn't any way from preventing a user to manually go to <server>/Thingworx/Squeal

Results Squeal returns will be according to permission settings.

I always recommend for those users that WANT to use Squeal, that they can use the Search Services and put the returned results into their own Mashup

jasong
1-Newbie
(To:pcheah)

I believe our team has asked for a SQUEAL and COMPOSER visibility permission to be able to be set and control by organizations. Because on a production box, those tools just shouldn't be there for most users. Even if your permissions are set so that everything is fine and safe, it's still a little crazy to be able to even get to those toolsets.

If you are truly on a production box that does not need SQUEAL at all, I suppose you could simply delete move the /Thingworx/Squeal/ folder to some other temp folder outside of /Tomcat/webapps/Thingworx. I've never tried this but there's a chance it would work. Same with Composer. Simplu copy the folder back in if you need it.

If you try this and it works let me know, this will be handy to know.

jasong
1-Newbie
(To:jasong)

Also, Squeal uses the SearchFunctions resources (Searcher) and I think it uses SearchAll or maybe SpotlightSearch services. Composer definitely uses SpotlightSearch for it's entity lists. Anyway, you can disable access for a user to those and they won't be able to use the tool

But alas the tool will show up i they somehow find it. Thingworx is not a widely used product yet but in time it will be because it's fantastic and in time people will learn about this. Even now, you can spin up a ThWx server demo and learn all about it with nothing more than an email address. So the day that people will be able to google for this sort of stuff is coming soon.

Top Tags