cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Cannot install Thingworx 7.3 on Ubuntu 16.04

SS_7635485
2-Guest

Cannot install Thingworx 7.3 on Ubuntu 16.04

Please help. I have installed Tomcat, Postgres. Could not install Thingworx as it fails to start for the first time.

Throws exception - "javax.servlet.ServletException: java.io.IOException: error trying to initialize Platform storage [setting: /ThingworxStorage/database]"

I have installed Tomcat under /opt/tomcat

Created ThingworxPlatform directory under /opt and provided access to tomcat user

Also created ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage and provided access to tomcat user under /opt folder

Please help.

Thanks,

Lokesh

6 REPLIES 6
ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:SS_7635485)

The default location of ThingworxPlatform directory should be Root Directory.

Could you please try moving the ThingworxPlatform directory to root Directory.

If desired, the location of the ThingworxPlatform can be changed by defining the environment variable THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS and setting its value to the desired path where the platform-settings.json file can be found.

Do let us know if you still face any issue.

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:ankigupta)

Please refer to the system requirement guide, only Ubuntu 14.04 LTE has been fully tested and therefore, supported.

What backend database are you installing? I'm assuming, postgresql. If so, what version? Only 9.4.5+ (but not 9.5) is supported.That being said, please do check that the ThingworxPlatform folder is in the root and same partition as tomcat and ThingworxStorage (unless otherwise specified in your Thingworx_Platform_Settings).

Also do check that the database scripts actually ran and conoleted      for both database and schema setup.  If you have pgadmin III installed, make sure tables were created for Thingworx database.

Dear Ankit,

Thank you for your response.

I have done all the changes as advised by you. It is still refusing to work and stops at the same error.

I have moved all the 3 folders ThingworxPlatform, ThingworxBackupStorage and ThingworxStorage ​under Root folder of the Root user. Provided necessary permission to the Tomcat user.

Can we please connect through Teamviewer and guide me on this installation? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Lokesh

posipova
20-Turquoise

Hi Lokesh,

Could you please provide the answers to my questions above?

- What is your version of postgresql (if you are using postgresql)?

- If postgresql, have the scripts (database and schema setup) run and completed successfully? Check with PgadminIII that tables for thingworx database were indeed created.

- What is your version of Java and tomcat?

Hello Polina,

I got rid of the above exception. It now initialized the platform storage. Created all three folders in root and it solved my problem.

Got into another issue -

HTTP Status 401 – Unauthorized

Type Status Report

Message Could not handle request

Description The request has not been applied because it lacks valid authentication credentials for the target resource.

Apache Tomcat/8.5.13

I am using the following -

Linux - Ubuntu 16.04

Tomcat - 8.5.13

Postgres - 9.5.6

Thingworx - 7.3 SP2

Java version - 1.8.0_121

I have verified in pgaadmin and all the tables, schema are intact.

Do you think is it the version issue now? Please advice

Thanks,

Lokesh

posipova
20-Turquoise

Yes, versions are the issue. We don't support tomcat 8.5 or Postgres 9.5. Please install the latest version of postgres 9.4 ( I believe, 9.4.11).  The minimum supported of 9.4 is 9.4.5.

Now for the tomcat, we only support 8.0 (minimum 8.0.33),  no 8.5. I'd recommend a version between 8.0.33 and 8.0.38

Top Tags