cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How can I set a connection between Thingworx without plugging ethernet cable to Raspberry Pi and using PuTTy?

emericboyu
1-Newbie

How can I set a connection between Thingworx without plugging ethernet cable to Raspberry Pi and using PuTTy?

Hello everyone, I'm quite new to the topic building an IoT network.  What I need to do is to track the temperature of an area using Temperature Sensor DS18b20 and upload this temperature data to Thingworx platform by using a Raspberry Pi.  The challenging thing is that I can't connect the Raspberry Pi directly to internet because of the security measures of the company and I can't use PuTTy since it is not allowed either.  All documentations that I found explaines the way wth PuTTy.  Is there a way to connect my Raspberry Pi with the Thingworx network by using a source code?  Thank you for your attention!

6 REPLIES 6

Hi...

for connecting the Pi to ThingWorx, there needs to be an actual connection in any sort. This could be through a (W)LAN or with some GSM connection - some way of allowing to connect the device to the ThingWorx server.

In case you're not allowed to connect the Pi directly to the Internet (I assume ThingWorx is somewhere on the net not on your local network), is it possible to use a (corproate) proxy server?

There's a nice example at

http://mrchrisjbailey.co.uk/2013/03/19/connecting-raspberry-pi-through-school-proxy/

So what's the usual way of connecting from inside your network to the internet?

Is this allowed at all? If not, maybe some kind of mobile connection could be a solution, where a phone is acting as a WIFI hotspot for the Pi to connect to.

Cheers,

Michael

Hey Michael,

Thank you for your fast response.  Thingworx is actually located on the local network of the company.  Right now I'm trying to build EMS on the raspberry pi so that according to the ip of the raspberry pi I can connect it to Thingworx, right?

Regards,

Emre

Hi Emre,

yeah - as long as you can ping from the Pi to the ThingWorx server and the other way around, you should also be able to connect directly through a EMS / EdgeSDK / REST-API etc.

Once machines (or the Pi) is moving outside of the local network it probably requires a tunnel to be able to connect to the ThingWorx server.

If it's not working in a local network, I'd check for network related issues or any firewall / port related issue - this could block some of the connections.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm trying to set a connection with the RasPi and Thingworx according to the Raspberry Pi Quickstart Guide (http://developer.thingworx.com/guides/thingworx-raspberry-pi-quickstart?page=1) and I'm having a problem at step 10.  Whenever I execute the code sudo ./luaScriptResource I get the the following error: Attempting to GetPropertySubscriptions from server failed. code: 500, result:

What do you suggest me to do? I can see my RasPi on Monitoring as an unbound device but I can't manage binding with the RasPi and the Thing in Thingworx.

Regards.

Emre

Hi Emre,

a 500 error usually means that the server did something wrong.

So it receives the client request - which means the connection is working.

The question is now: what's going wrong on server side?

Do you get a stack trace for the error 500?

Hello Michael,

I just found the solution for my problem.  Looks like someone had the same problem like me ([RaspberryPi Tutorial] Unable to connect LSR to EMS).  I added an identifier in my config.lua, identifier = "PiThing", within my PiTemplate section and it solved the connection error.

Regards,

Emre

Top Tags