cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Where is platform-configuration.json located?

afarley
1-Newbie

Where is platform-configuration.json located?

The installation instructions PDF instructs the user to move platform-configuration.json to /ThingworxPlatform. I can't see this file anywhere in the downloaded installation files from Thingworx. Am I missing something?

Also, it seems like the json in the example platform-configuration.json (installation PDF appendix B) is invalid. I'm seeing at least an extra comma after "msadmin". Can anybody confirm?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:afarley)

Hi Alexander Farley​,

We have to create the /ThingworxPlatform folder and then create a file named platform-configuration.json with details copied from Installation file and place it under /ThingworxPlatform directory.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

The platform-settings.json​ is a file that needs to be created manually for Neo / H2 versions.

It needs to be placed in a folder that's referenced by the THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS environment variable.

It's best to only use the parts in the config guide, that you really need.

As for the "username": "msadmin" - yeah, I think the comma is too much.

ankigupta
5-Regular Member

Hi Alexander Farley​,

We have to create the /ThingworxPlatform folder and then create a file named platform-configuration.json with details copied from Installation file and place it under /ThingworxPlatform directory.

Thanks for the replies, Ankit and Michael.

It would be nice if someone from Thingworx could chime in. I do understand that it's possible to create the configuration file manually but it's tricky to troubleshoot without a known-good example. I think it would be reasonable to expect the installation guide to be kept up-to-date. Furthermore, the installation guide actually states that a copy of platform-configuration.json is located with the downloaded install files. This is quite confusing.

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Hi Alexander, sorry for barging in on this thread.

I think it's important to clarify some things here could you please share which Persistence Provider are you using together with ThingWorx and which version of ThingWorx are you on, normally if you don't find the json file it's likely you are using either H2 or Neo4j DB since they both are embedded DBs (i.e. they are initialized within the ThingWorx web app thus user does not require to install those DB separately and thus you don't need to setup the connection string in the json file) which would explain why you can't locate this file in the downloaded zip. However you can create one using the sample from Apendix in the installation guide, i'm attaching here one for your reference - note this only contains bare minimum configuration for PostgreSQL DB

If you are creating this file manually please do refer to the Apendix section for the sort of configuration you can do in this file which are specific to H2 or Neo4j.

From the discussions I see you may be running into some syntax issue with json so for that you may want to use the https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/ for highlighting any syntactical errors your json file may have.

Are you looking to do some specific configuration in json?

I did eventually figure out the correct json configuration so I'm not having any issues right now. To answer your questions:

-I believe I'm using the default persistence provider. I didn't install anything other than Tomcat and Java JDK.

-I got the install files by downloading from the developer dashboard.

I do not understand what my persistence provider settings have to do with the location of platform-settings.json. I understand what you're saying about why we don't need to edit any connection strings if we use the default DB, but that's a different question.

Basically, I'm just commenting that I think the setup guide or downloaded install files should include a known-good json configuration rather than referring the users to the appendix which has issues.

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Thank you Alexander for your feedback, I can understand how exasperating these documentation nuances could be. Thus based on this I have filed a documentation Jira TW-20143 with a public knowledge base article Incorrect syntax near "username": "msadmin", on page 52 of Installing ThingWorx 7.4 guide

You can use that to track the progress on the fix for this issue.

You can also try  for JSON Formatter and JSON Validator to validate JSON data.

Top Tags