cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Best configuration for Thingworx 7.4

ldell'aversano
1-Newbie

Best configuration for Thingworx 7.4

Hi to everyone,

which is the best configuration for Thingworx 7.4 version?

Is it works only with Tomcat 8.0 ?

Is CentOS 7 not longer compatible?

Thank's

Luigi

14 REPLIES 14
ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:ldell'aversano)

Hi Lugi Dell'Aversano​,

You may want to look at the ThingWorx Core 7.4 System Requirements and ThingWorx Core 7.x Sizing Guide for answer to your query.

Hi,

hhank's for the answer, but, could you send us a specific path of this guide?

We should be able to install a :

- Thingworx platform 7.4;

- Thingworx Analytics 7.4;

- Dataconnect;

- ThingWatcher.

Which guide or guides should we follow?

Thingworx core 7.4 guide or Thingworx Analytics Standalone 7.4 guide or both?

Which are the hardware and software requirements for all the tools?

In the Thingworx Core installation guide i read: RAM 16GB... instead in the stand alone Analytics guide there is no reference.

Which are the best hardware and software configurations suggested by PTC for running Platform, Analytics, Data Connect and ThingWatcher?

2 servers, 3 servers?

Can you provide us a step by step guide to follow?

At now, we have installed Java 1.8, Tomcat, 8.5  PostgreSQL 9.5  and Thingworx Composer 7.4 in a unique server as suggested in the related guide.

Which are the next step to follow in order to install Annalytics, Data Connect and Thingwatcher?

Thanks for all.

We're waiting your for feedback.

Regards

Luigi

Neel Sampat​ and John Greiner​ may be able to speak for the Analytics side better; however, one thing to note right away: currently neither Tomcat 8.5 nor Postgresql 9.5 is supported. Per the Thingworx core requirement guide ( which should be followed for general requirements as it's the foundation platform), minimum Tomcat version to be supported is 8.0.33 and to be stayed within 8.0.x major; similarly, Postgresql 9.4.5 miminum and within the 9.4.x the latest is 9.4.11.

Polina Osipova​ thank you for pinging me.

Luigi,

Sizing for ThingWorx Analytics completely depends on your use case.

Can you provide what you are attempting to do?

When you build the ThingWorx Analytics Appliance via the Packerscripts on the support portal, the default settings are 2 CPUs and 6 GB of RAM. This is the standard for small scale and workstation environments.

To install ThingWorx Analytics, please reference this Knowledge Article that may help you in your 7.4 build.  Also please note that we will be releasing a standalone installer for ThingWorx Analytics in the coming week that would make the deployment and build process streamlined.

We also have these videos available on the Developer Community

Video 1: Video Link : 1628.

Video 2: Video Link : 1629

It is worth noting that even though the videos say 52.x, these tutorials do apply to 7.4 as well. 8.0 will be a standard installer process.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Neel

Thansk for these infos, Can i install Thingworx Analytics in the same server of Thingworx Core needs absolutely a new dedicated server?

If i would like to install also Data Connect and Thing Watcher? Can i intall them in the same server? or they need a new one?

PTC supports CentOS 7.2 OS for production environments with Tomcat 8.0.x and Thingworx Core 7.4 ?

Thanks in advance

Marco

Marco,

I would recommend two separate instances, one for Core and one for Analytics, for stability and resource balancing. It is possible to have it on a combined instance, but you will be required to use a CentOS 7 OS for the ThingWorx Analytics Application.

You can install Data Connect and ThingWatch on the same instance, but you will have to be aware of resource use during high load.

ThingWorx Analytics is currently built for CentOS7 environments, and Tomcat 8.

Regards,

Neel

Than you for the answer.

So are you saying also that PTC supports already CentOS 7.2 with Thingworx Core and Analytcs 7.4? Because in the Core 7.4 guide there no mention on CentOS.(image below)

requisiti  thingworx 7.4.PNG

So i suppose i have install Core on Windows and Analytics on CentOS?

There is any evidence somewhere, in someguide that Analytics is supported on CentOS?

Thanks again

Marco,

I cannot speak to the ThingWorx Core OS requirements, I will have to ask Polina Osipova​ to advise here.

ThingWorx Analytics will run on CentOS 7, and any incremental patched version of that particular OS.

ThingWorx Core and ThingWorx Analytics are separate product lines, but are capable of inter-operation. You can have Core on a platform supported by their documentation, and have it communicate with Analytics on a CentOS 7 environment.

I'm unsure what you mean by evidence, as ThingWorx Analytics is only supported in CentOS at this time.

Further up the thread, I created a post reply to Lugi that explains ThingWorx Analytics pre-requisites and media creation method:

Knowledge Article that may help you in your 7.4 build.  Also please note that we will be releasing a standalone installer for ThingWorx Analytics in the coming week that would make the deployment and build process streamlined.

We also have these videos available on the Developer Community

Video 1: Installing ThingWorx Analytics Server 52.x - part 1 - pre-requisites.

Video 2: Installing ThingWorx Analytics Server 52.x - part 2 - end

Regards,

Neel

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:nsampat)

Thingworx will run on Centos; however, it has not been officially tested and certified for Centos.

Thank you Polina,

so which OS is officially tested for Core 7.4 and Analytics 7.4 that is officially tested and certified?

If there is not, am i right if i use Core 7.4 in windows server and Analytics in a second windows server?

Or, it is better install Core 7.4 in Windows server and Analytics on CentOS together with Data Connect and thingWatcher?

Last info:

Which  version Neel Sampat talking about will be release the next week of ThingWorx Analytics ( standalone installer)?

Thanks again

Marco

supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:mpagliotta)

Marco, you can check the list of supported OSes in the System Requirement guide .

The system requirements are only for Core 7.4 (no CentOS supported) and i do not find out anything for Analytics.

Marco

Marco,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, ThingWorx Analytics is only supported on CentOS 7 at this time.

There will be further OS support in the 8.0 Release, which is set for later this week.

Regards,

Neel

Marco,

8.0 Will be released later this week for ThingWorx Analytics.

Also worth nothing, currently any ThingWorx Analytics installation prior to 8.0 must be on CentOS 7. These prior versions cannot be installed to Windows.

ThngWorx Core has that OS Matrix you posted further up

ThingWorx Analytics does not have an OS Matrix, as the current and previous versions will only run inside CentOS 7.

I have provided links to the installation process and the documentation you requested. When you have the opportunity, I would recommend that you read through the Article and watch the videos. They will provide more guidance and information around ThingWorx Analytics.

Regards,

Neel

Top Tags