cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Copying Thingworx Storage

vranganathan
10-Marble

Copying Thingworx Storage

I have everything installed, developed and worked in one instance of Thingworx 6.0. I installed another new instance in different machine.

1. I stopped the tomcat in newer instance

2. I backed up my ThingworxStorage and ThingworxStorageBackup folders.

3. I copied the ThingworxStorage and ThingworxStorageBackup folders from my older instances.

4. I cleared the work folder under Tomcat.

5. I restarted the newer instance of Thingworx.

6. I am able to login. However I am not seeing any of my extensions and other objects I created. I checked the ThingworxStorage and I do see my extensions.

Not sure what is happening. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Varathan

3 REPLIES 3

Although copying the Thingworx Storage is a nice quick way to move your development, we recommend.

1. Install new instance

2. Install all extensions on the instance

3. In old instance export all to Thingworx Storage

4. Copy export from ThingworxStorage/exports to new instance

5. Import all from Thingworx Storage

aamit
5-Regular Member
(To:vranganathan)

Hi,

Before copying the Storage from the old instance, try shutting down (nicely) the Tomcat server on the old instance. This will flush to disk all possible opened files.

Thanks,

Asaf.

Thanks for your repose. I did stop the tomcat. The issue was even though it is same release, the installations are from different builds. I copied the source war file to target location. everything started working.

I agree the better way would have exporting and importing everything. It is long process as well there was possibility that some extension may not work.

Anyway, I got around this problem.

Thanks,

Varathan

Top Tags