cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Procedure to integrate Thingworx with KEPServerEX 6

sratnani1
1-Newbie

Procedure to integrate Thingworx with KEPServerEX 6

I have installed a demo version of KEPServerEX 6 and have been trying to integarte it with Thingworx 7.1.2.  Till now, I have imported KEPServerEX 6 extension in Thingworx and created a thing "KEPServerEX" using the imported template "RemoteKEPServerEXThing". When trying to connect, I am getting Thingworx Connection failed error. I have attached the screenshot of same. I am unable to find any relevant documentation about this procedure. Can anyone guide if I am missing any concept.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the KepServerEX config client, right click Project > Properties. In the ThingWorx tab under the section "Connection Settings" set 'Disable encryption" to Yes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:sratnani1)

Hi Sandeep, is that port correct? are you able to reach ThingWorx using that URL generally? I mean i hope the connection somehow is not blocked by firewall or something similar?

In the KepServerEX config client, right click Project > Properties. In the ThingWorx tab under the section "Connection Settings" set 'Disable encryption" to Yes.

Hi,

Your reply was really helpful.

I tried this one,but now I am getting some other error.I have attached screenshot for same.Kindly guide me where I am going wrong.kepserver thingworx error.JPGkepserver thingworx error_1.JPG

Hi Kirti,

Try modifying below things in property editor:

1) Modify Trust self-signed certificates to YES

2) Modify Trust certificates to YES

3) Application key same as created in Thingworx platform.

4) Thing name same as created in thingworx platform extending Kepserver thing template.

Hi Kirti,

1. Can you try this: open a web browser on the same PC as KEPServerEX, are you able to connect to the same ThingWorx hostname and port?

2. If you can connect a browser without issue, then refer to the bottom of this page of the KEPServerEX help manual for this error ("Connection to ThingWorx failed.":

https://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/kepserverex/documents/kepserverex-manual/#page=235

Please follow/revisit the suggestions contained there:

a. Verify that the host, port, resource, and application key are all valid and correct.

b. Verify that the host machine can reach the composer on the ThingWorx platform (this is the reason for the web browser test).

c. Verify that the proper certificate settings are enabled if using a self-signed certificate or no encryption.

After following these recommendations, the next step will be to examine the contents of your ThingWorx 'server.xml' settings file.

Best regards,

Steven Marchessault

PTC - Kepware

Hi again Kirti,

One separate thing to point out:

In the same Project Properties window in KEPServerEX from your screenshot above, you will also need to set 'Legacy Mode' to Enabled. To explain, KEPServerEX v6.1 and higher will connect with the older version of ThingWorx composer (pre-v7.4), only when Legacy Mode is set to Enabled. Otherwise-- if you are connecting with ThingWorx v7.4 or higher-- you can leave Legacy Mode disabled. Please note: this setting will not prevent the initial connection from forming. which is your current issue. If the Legacy Mode setting is incorrect, property-creation issues will manifest after the connection is established.

Best regards,

Steven Marchessault

Technical Support Engineer | Kepware Technologies

Top Tags