cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Impact of Kepware on existing communication traffic with PLC

CR_8151365
2-Guest

Impact of Kepware on existing communication traffic with PLC

I am planning to use AB suite for the old AB PLC (PLC 5/40) which is using DF1 protocol. I would like to know whether PLC software and Kepware software can co-exist in PC as both of them will be getting data from PLC. I hope existing station or any other software will have no impact by Installing kepware on same PC and getting data from same PLC. Please clarify.

5 REPLIES 5

Hello Channabasavaraj,

The quick answer is no, there will likely be no conflict. For me to better verify and explain this, please describe:

1. How will you physically connect the KEPServerEX PC with the PLC 5/40? For example, a direct serial RS232 cable; or are you connecting over Ethernet to a gateway or converter? If so, what will this converter be?

2. What is the PLC software you are using? How is this connected with the device?

Best regards,

Steven Marchessault

Technical Support Engineer | Kepware Technologies

Hi Steve, Thanks for reply.

The connection between PC and PLC (PLC-5/40) is through RS232.  It is using DF1 protocol. The RSView32 is used for monitoring the PLC. This RSview32 software is installed in Windows XP system. This PLC system is 15years old. So, now I have two questions: (1) Can we install Kepware in Windows Xp machine? (2) Whether Kepware configured to fetch value from same serial port (which is being used by RSView32) has any impact. It might not work as same serial port can not be used by two softwares??.

The next question is where to Install Kepware system and how to get data from PLC without impacting RSView32 monitoring software.

Thanks,

CB

Hello Channabasavaraj,

Okay, thank you for clarifying. Answering your questions in reverse order: yes, you are correct, it will not be possible for the two locally-installed applications to connect simultaneously through the same COM port. There is no specification of a Source or Destination identity in the Serial connection layer, and the communication streams would become confused if the OS were to allow this. Because of this, your first option will be to connect an additional RS232 cable (if the PC and PLC 5/40 can both accommodate this).

If the additional cable is not possible, what is the information being monitored by RSView32? Can you either, a) alternate between the use of RSView32 and KEPServerEX, if the data is needed at different times for different reasons?

Or, can you b) read the values you need to monitor in RSView32 through tags in KEPServerEX? If so, you can connect RSView32 as an OPC Client to KEPServerEX, and allow KEPServerEX to be the single point of communication with the device.

It will not be possible to install KEPServerEX V6 on Windows XP, but you can install KEPServerEX V5-- including the final release v5.21-- on Windows XP. You can download KEPServerEX V5 or V6 from the My Kepware Home page here:

https://my.kepware.com/mykepware/Landing.aspx

You will need to take a quick moment to sign up for the My Kepware web portal before you will be able to log in to that page.

Here are links to the System Requirements for V5 and V6:

https://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/kepserverex/documents/kepserverex-manual/#page=16

https://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/kepserverex/documents/kepserverex-v5-manual.pdf#page=10

This is the section of the Allen-Bradley DF1 Driver that discusses Cable Connections:

https://www.kepware.com/en-us/products/kepserverex/drivers/allen-bradley-df1/documents/allen-bradley-df1-manual.pdf#page…

Please let us know how it goes, or if you have additional questions about any of this

Best regards,

Steven Marchessault

Hi Steve,

Thanks for detailed answer.

I have two more questions based on your answer.

(1) If Kepware is made primary software to gather information from PLC then RSView32 software can get data from Kepware via DF1? OR Kepware can give only OPC output?

(2) If we have an option to configure RSView32 as OPC server then is it possible for Kepware to take values from OPC server and push data to ThingWorx? If yes, what would be the OPC version (1, 2 or 3) and variant (UA, DA, HDA etc) it supports? I see the information in below link, just wanted to confirm. It will be like RSview32 push data --> Kepware (using OPC DA) and Kepware will push data --> Thingworx (using AlwaysON)

OPC DA Client Driver | OPC Server | Kepware

I will surely update you on progress once we start this integration. We are discussing with Rockwell in parallel.

I have some idea/improvement suggestion, how can I send you that information?

Thanks,

CB

Hello Channabasavaraj,

KEPServerEX will support any of the versions and variants you mentioned above. Although, the only Client / Server protocol I am aware of that could be employed for connecting with RSView32 is OPC DA. It would not be possible to use the DF1 protocol to interface these two applications.

In your setup, KEPServerEX could be either the OPC DA Server, or the OPC DA Client Driver could be used if RSView32 were to be setup as the OPC DA Server.

Yes, let's continue discussing offline. I will send you an email soon.

Best regards,

Steven Marchessault

Top Tags