cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Invoke command from Thingworx server to Edge Device

pyadav1
1-Newbie

Invoke command from Thingworx server to Edge Device

Hi,

I want to make a command invocation from my application to device.

Use case - Websocket devices are connected to ThingWorks platform and I have an application which gets device data from ThingWorx platform. Now I want to fire a mgmt command to device. How can I do on ThingWorx? If you have API reference plz send me the link.

Regards,

Pradeep

9 REPLIES 9
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:pyadav1)

This is what we have our Agent technology for (either the WSEMS or any of the SDKs)

This will allow you to program the invoke at the Edge and then declare it as a 'Remote Service' that maps back into a Thingworx Remote Thing

then through that you can invoke that Service on the platform to execute the service on the Edge.

Hi Pai,

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to do device operation through Thingworx rest API. Is it possible? Which API to use for the same

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

If your device accepts REST calls, you can use the contentloader functions within Thingworx to form REST calls.

Hi Pai,

I think I am not clear enough on raised questions. Please find the below Architecture

Here, I am writing Thingworx-Adapter for my Application. Thingworx-Adapter is interface between Thingworx foundation server and Application.

There are 2 scenario of data flow which I want to perform

1. Application should receive device status notification through Thingworx-Adapter - Implemented successfully

Implementation Steps -

1. Created a Local Thing(myLocalThing) into Thingworx Foundation Server and Added property

2. Device is connected which through Remote Thing(myRemoteThing)

3. Bind Local Thing property to Remote Thing

4. invoking HTTP API of Thingworx Thing/Properties and receving status of device

2. Application can perform operation on device via Thingworx-Adapter  - How to Implement ??

Now I want to perform operation on Thing property, how can I do?

Please guide me because I am stuck here and not able to understand how service will help me out on doing this.

If you have any documentation to understand services and there APIs for this scenario please share.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

I see MQTT protocol. Is Thingworx a subscriber? if so then you should be able to use the MQTT extension on the Thingworx marketplace.

All it would be is a message from your application to the Server that then kicks off a Remote Service to your Device.

All Services in the Thingworx platform are exposed as REST calls OOTB, but if you are communicating MQTT, then probably you would would use some sort of msg received event.

Hi Pai,

How to bind a Service with remote service property? Can you suggest some tutorial.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

The fundamentals of Thingworx shows you how to do Remote Property binding.

In a Thing / ThingTemplate of Type remote, you will have the opportunity to do Property/Service and Event Binding which can be either Local (another service/property/event within the system) or Remote (mapped to an Edge device.

Hello Pai,

Really I need help because I am not finding proper documentation/tutorial  of thingworx server with example. Http api doc limited with thing creation, thing property CRUD, Notification. What about subscription, Service invocation??

I have a Thingworx client acts as a Temperature Sensor. I have created a local thing of type remote and added Temperature property and did binding. Now I am using Http API to get latest temperature value.  Its working fine.

Now I want to fire an command to operate on device. As per my understanding, for this I have to create a service.

I dint get any documentation or tutorial where  I can understand how to bind the property of service which interns call the remote things for device operation.

Please suggest me below,

1. any video tutorial- Create service and call Http api for device operation

2. Subscription/Notification Http API

Regards,

Pradeep

Hi Pai,

I am looking for paid technical support for thingworx platform understanding.

If Yes than please let me know the options

Regards,

Pradeep

Top Tags