cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

ThingWorx 8 Using Server w/ Two Cores?

Ascherer17
14-Alexandrite

ThingWorx 8 Using Server w/ Two Cores?

I'm trying to research whether it is possible for ThingWorx 8 to function on a server given it has 2 CPU cores for utilization.

The difficult part is that I'm not sure about the number of devices or data frequency yet, but I don't think we will have very many (I estimate <1000).  I know the installation documentation recommends a minimum of 4 CPU cores.  I would like to know if anyone has tested a 2 core utilization or has performance statistics that would help reason for or against this.

3 REPLIES 3
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:Ascherer17)

Hello, Aaron.

I know it's possible to run ThingWorx 8 on a 2-core system; I have test platforms that do this. Whether this is suitable for a Production environment, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Which persistence provider are you thinking of using? If PostgreSql or MS SQL Server, you'd certainly want to run those on a different server.

Here is the ThingWorx Sizing Guide for 7.x; it will point out parameters you can consider and measure if you want to give it a tryout.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/172249/en/ThingWorx_Core_7.x_Sizing_Guide.pdf

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-- Craig A.

Ascherer17
14-Alexandrite
(To:CRArko)

Thank you for the reply.

At first we will only have a few things connected.  We plan to use PostgreSQL for persistence, and KEPWare will also be involved.

We will probably be moving to a 4 core setup later on.  Would you consider the 2 core setup to be usable?  Does it bog down a lot?  How does the Composer fare?

CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:Ascherer17)

Hi, Aaron.

Again, I've only used a 2-core system in a local VM in a lightweight, test/debug/troubleshoot only kind of scenario. I can't say much at all about how it would hold up under your projected load.

The two recommendations I can think of are to put postgres on a separate server, and pilot test this in as close to your actual use case as you can before attempting to put into production, just to be sure.

-- Craig A.

Top Tags