cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

What is my ThingWorx Server URL?

mjalal
1-Newbie

What is my ThingWorx Server URL?

I am following the weather prediction app using Raspberry Pi in ThingWorx and in part3 after I send the .jar (after using "mvn package" in OSX) using scp to pi@raspberrypi I don't know how to run the commands in the last page of this tutorial because I don't know what is the URL for my "ThingWorx server". Can you please help me on that?

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thingworx/media/Deploying-the-EMS.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 6.24.11 PM.png

Also I don't when I should select the last parameter to be "simulated". Can you please explain a little bit?

Bests,

Mona Jalal

1 REPLY 1
adrianpet
5-Regular Member
(To:mjalal)

Hi Mona,

As far as I know, you have last sent us your URL from your ThingWorx Server and it is: http://uwebc.cloud.thingworx.com/Thingworx/Composer

For the second question, I understand that Veronica already answered this and sent you her answer through outlook. In case that didn't reached you or maybe it went to the Spam folder, you can find the answer below:

"Hi Mona,

I saw in a following email that you found the correct value for the twx server url. Using mvn deploy to put the jar on the PI is one of the options. You can use any solution you are more comfortable with. I for once I use WinSCP, I prefer the windows directory environment more than the command line.

MVN deploy and mvn package have two different roles. MVN package gets the java classes from the temperature-thing folder, compiles them and gives you a jar file. Mvn deply only delivers that jar file to your pi. You need to run the jar file on your Pi you can read data from the sensor connected to RPI.  It’s true that you can also develop and run the project directly on your PI so you wouldn’t need to deploy it remotely.

Simulated means without reading values from the hardware. The values for temperature and humidity will be randomly generate within a certain range.  You can use the simulated option when you don’t have the sensor wired to RPI or when you are running the jar from your computer for testing purposes. 

The Egde microserver, more correctly named the Edge SDK , is a ThingWorx Java Framework that allows you to create Virtual Things with Properties, Services, Subscriptions etc. It also allows you to connect to ThingWorx using different security levels, TTL, SSL, noTTL for example. After creating a java project using this framework, you can create an executable java archive (jar) to run on your device. When you run the jar on your device (RPI for example),  the Virtual Thing that you modeled in the java code will become available on your ThingWorx platform and you can model it there using a Remote Things Template. Afterwards you can use it in Mashups.

There are also C, .Net  and iOS versions of the Edge SDK if you are more comfortable using these programming languages than java. You can download them from TWX marketplace. There are also instructions manuals for some  of them, the C SDK for example.

PS: We don’t have Thanksgiving day in Romania so I will still be working this Thursday and Friday, instead we have two national holidays on Monday and Tuesday next week. I am glad I can help and I hope you will have a succesful presentation on December 11th

Veronica"

For any questions regarding the PTC IoT Academic Program, please post all your questions to the Academic Forum.

Thanks,

Adrian

Top Tags