cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Best way to work with Analytics?

drichter
14-Alexandrite

Best way to work with Analytics?

Hi,

I clicked through the step by step tutorials of thingworx analytics (builder/rest stuff). The main problem on this tutorials, you work only with csv/json-files not with realtime data which come from a thingworx thing.

How can I put a real time data stream into analytics to predict an upcoming error? How can I get a list of upcoming maintenance (e.g. abc-thing goes wrong in round about 3days)? Why I need an externe java program for anomaly detection (this should be a part of analytics O.o)?

What is the best (practices) way to let thingworx work with analytics?

9 REPLIES 9
nsampat
17-Peridot
(To:drichter)

David,

Thank you for posting to the ThingWorx Community.

Firstly, what version of ThingWorx Analytics and Builder are you using? Are you deploying in a Windows or Linux environment?

Have you reviewed this article, which has information how to setup Anomaly Detection for streaming data using Kepware?

Regards,

Neel

drichter
14-Alexandrite
(To:nsampat)

Hi,

I'm working with Thingworx 8 and Analytics 8. Both instances are running via Docker on an AWS instance (Linux). I don't have ssh access to this (only via browser).

Do I really need kepware? Do I need it for real time data analytics or only for anomaly detection?

nsampat
17-Peridot

David,

Kepware is just one tool that can be used for the real-time data streaming, and as you can see most of our documentation and training materials utilizes Kepware as an example. As the user, you can decide if you have another service/tool to provide and stream the data to Anomaly Detection.

Regards,

Neel

drichter
14-Alexandrite

Hmm, and how it work without any 3th-party tool? It there no easy way to implement an anomaly detection or other kind of anaytics only with thingworx components?

nsampat
17-Peridot

David,

You need some sort of agent that capable of reading sensor data and interact with the application.

One third party tool that we've seen other clients use is National Instrument's CompactRIO. I do not have any documentation around 3rd Party implementation, as this has to be configured by the enduser using the agent.

Regards,

Neel

drichter
14-Alexandrite

I'm doen't get it.

I use thingworx for reading sensor data. Why I need an extra tool for the same job?

nsampat
17-Peridot

David,

I think there is some confusion in what the agent is doing. You are not using the third party tool to collect the data, you are using it as an agent for the data to have it formatted to be read.

This is how Anomaly Detection currently operates. If you review the videos posted in the Article above, it will explain the process using Kepware as an example.

Regards,

Neel

drichter
14-Alexandrite

hmm, I'm not sure what I have to ask, to get an meaningful answer.

My thing get the data from a sensor via mqtt. I will use those data in analtics to get something like "ohh the value xyz is to high lets do maintenance fun in the next 3 days."

jebeck
6-Contributor

David - there is an "Anomaly Detection How-To Guide" that may help with some of your questions.  It uses a java-based data simulator to mimic data being sent from an iot device/gateway.  It also covers how to setup your environment to implement anomaly detection.

Top Tags