cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to implement a Dynamic Service - EntityName binding?

beck.smith
1-Newbie

How to implement a Dynamic Service - EntityName binding?

Does anybody have a pointer to documentation, example, video or other succinct education on how to implement a Dynamic Service?

I can’t quite get my mind wrapped around how to bind to the EntityName and from where.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Case:

I have a mashup that used QueryImplementingThingsWithData.  I wanted to be able to dynamically pass in the query value rather than hard code it. QD replied with the following suggestion that works:

You can create a new service with an input "SiteIdParam". This service executes the "QueryImplementingThingsWithData" with the query which contains "SiteId = SiteIdParam".

Then, in the mashup, you can bind the mashup parameter "PassedSiteId" to the input parameter "SiteIdParam" of this new service.

I created the new service and it tests correctly however, the newly created service is Dynamic which subsequently introduces the EntityName issue in the mashup when I replace the original QueryImplementingThingsWithData.

Again, I just need to get my mind around Dynamic services and the EntityName. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

In the mashup builder, when you check the "Dynamic" box, you are indicating that you will execute the selected service on an individual Thing by providing the entity name when the service is called.

In your case, you need to supply the siteID from within the mashup using a textbox or dropdown.

David,

Thanks for the reply.

I am able to connect a siteID to the entityName – if it’s already been displayed or populated.

The problem comes when I need to dynamically filter on something like QueryImplementingThingsWithData at runtime to initially seed a List.  I.e. I don’t want to show all the Things Implemented but also don’t want to hard code the restricting query parameter.

There is a related discussion going on under an earlier post titled “Using a Mashup Parameter as the Query Filter?” where some techniques are being discussed.

Thanks again for the reply.

Top Tags