cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Tomcat 8.5 server is running but cannot start Thingworx 8

tlichtenberger-
1-Newbie

Tomcat 8.5 server is running but cannot start Thingworx 8

Hey there!

I have successfully set up tomcat 8.5 in order to run thingworx 8 in the web browser:

Now I want to access Thingworx through typing "localhost/Thingworx/" into the web browser. But whenever

I try it, the server responses this:

I also looked through the application logs and found a few errors which could possibly cause this problem.

But I have not figured the solution out. You can find the application logs attached to this post if you want to go through.

I would be very grateful if someone helps me out! Thank you so much in advance!

Best wishes,

Theresa

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Theresa, i need to mention this that 8.5 is still not a supported Tomcat version (even though i've seenThingWorx working on 8.5) so would recommend downgrading to supported version i.e. to one of the latest release of 8.0, Also the deployment of the ThingWorx webapp failed for you see error :

11:02:41.201+0200 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-2] *** Web Application STATE is being set to ERROR! ***

Moving on, to the warnings and errors in the applicationlog, could you confirm if Tomcat's JVM is started with UTF-8 because there's a clear warning on it :

2017-09-14 11:02:31.882+0200 [L: WARN] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-2] Please note.  Default character is set to Cp1252.  It should be [UTF-8]. Please use the VM argument [-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8] in your application server startup script

secondly, are you starting certain entities during the load because there seems to be some error around services used in the mashup.

Thirdly, any specific reason for restricting  JVM Max Memory: 228 (MB)

Actually, with ThingWorx 8  system requirements, tomcat 8.5 is supported. http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/173114/en/ThingWorx_Core_8.0_System_Requirements_1.pdf

How do you deploy your war file? Do you upload it through the web interface? If so, this is not the correct way and likely will fail in the application start. Please try placing the war file (while tomcat is stopped) into the tomcat folder "webapps". Then, once the tomcat is started, it will deploy the application.

sghongade-3
6-Contributor
(To:posipova)

Agreed to Polina,

follows the below steps and let us know (following scenario works for me).

1) Install the tomcat 8.5.13 without administrator's right (do not run with Run As Administrator)

2) Configure  tomcat.

3) copy the thingworx.war file and paste in tomcat webapps folder (<Tomcat Installation folder>/tomcat8.5/webapps)

4) restart the Tomcat.

Good morningSushant Pandey​ , Polina Osipova​ and Shravan Ghongade​,

I have uninstalled Tomcat 8.5 and instead installed Tomcat 8.0. In addition, I have newly downloaded the WAR file from

the download site and copied it in the tomcat webapps folder. But I can still not start the thingworx application due to

the same errors as before.

Any other suggestions on what may be the problem?

Thank you so far for your help!

Theresa

and yes I have added the UTF-8 command and so on. But I don't know why I still get this error.

Hello Theresa,

can I know which flavor of thinworx8 your using? I mean Postgres or other. 

Hi Theresa, apologies my bad, Polina is right, somehow i miss read stuff. Can you share the Tomcat's catalinalog and the application log? Are the errors still the same?

Hello again Shravan Ghongade​ and Sushant Pandey​,

Shravan Ghongade​: I wanted to install the trial version of Thingworx and as far as I know I do not need to install PostgreSQL for that. I just installed JRE and Tomcat8.

Sushant Pandey​: you can find the logs in the attachment.

Thank you for your help!!

Kind regards,

Theresa

Theresa, i couldn't locate the -Djava.library.path for the flex.dll could you confirm if this has been set for the JVM?  Are you installing PostgreSQL or H2 now? Because log seems to highlight that H2 is being installed

I understand this is a freemium so you do not need the license pathj Sushant Pandey​.

Do you already have some data in your folders because I can see some custom entities are failing to load? Can you please try a fresh installation - removing Thingworx from the tomcat/webapps path, ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders while tomcat is stopped

supandey
19-Tanzanite
(To:posipova)

Polina Osipova​ thanks for correcting, I was not sure if she has freemium license, yeah then it make sense.

Top Tags