cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to parse simple XML-response from PostXML/PostText

Pasi_Ojala
2-Guest

How to parse simple XML-response from PostXML/PostText

Hi!

I'm trying to post a device serialnumber to remote URL (not Thingworx) with PostXML-function and get a response with some device details (see below).

By using var xmlDocument = Resources["ContentLoaderFunctions"].PostText(params) I get the following response nicely as string:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Devices>

<Total>0</Total>

<Device>

<DeviceData>

<SerialNumber>A66M38</SerialNumber>

<DeviceType>10</DeviceType>

</DeviceData>

<ItemData Quantity="1" Version="">

<Description1 Lang="EN">Development engine</Description1>

</ItemData>

</Device>

</Devices>

But if I try to do anything with PostXML (e.g. xmlDocument to Infotable) it seems that I do not get any XML data to Thingworx. I wonder, whether PostXML can be used in a case like this to get result as XML object? Am I missing something in PostXML usage?

Quite a simple result so I could even use some sort of light-weight parser inside service? Any hints?

Br,

Pasi

6 REPLIES 6
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Pasi_Ojala)

Should work, if this is what you get back when you do PostText, then your PostXML should be able to get this back as an XML object.

So if you had var myXML = Resources.["ContentLoaderFunctions"].PostXML

Then you should be able to get information from myXML.Devices.Total

PostText delivers the content nicely. PostXML just like you said, but myXML.Devices.Total is empty. Any idea where to start hunting the reason for this behavior? Could it be that content-type is a problem for Thingworx? Using Postman I see that the content-type for response is text/xml; charset=utf-8.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Pasi_Ojala)

Do you have the UTF-8 option configured in the Java opts?

You mean in the tomcat/catalina startup?

Hi Pasi,

Don't lose time with PostXML, use PostText and then if you want you can try to parse to XML the content you receive with new XML(postTextResult); or alike.

Just my recommendation,

Carles.

Thanks. I will check the encoding issue first and if it does not help, continue with building the case with posttext.

Top Tags